Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier I had asked a question concerning finding the torque specs for things like exhaust manifolds and such. I got a response to check the Haynes manual, which I happen to have. Anyway, in the manual it says to torque the exhaust manifold bolts to 20 ft lbs, and the inner to 30 ft lbs on a 350 CID. I have the 350 CID, but when they say inner do they mean.....

My attempt at the exhaust bolt pattern......

AB CD EF GH

Are B, D, E, G the inner bolts? I know this may seem trivial to some, but just want to do this right.

Thanks,

------------------
JR
TC #1098
My 69 Convertible

My 2001 Z28

[This message has been edited by jerryr (edited 12-07-2001).]

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Wouldn't the bolt pattern be...
AB CD EF
CD are the siamesed(sp?) ex ports. I would think that CD are the inner and AB &EF are the outer. JMO

------------------
Nathan Brandt
The more cubes the better!!!
70 SS 396 4spd under restoration
71 SS 454 clone 8.8 1/8 on pump gas and 8" slicks
60' 1.949 & 77 MPH
Team Chevelle # 1143
My 71 SS 454 clone

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, Nate you are correct. I was thinking 8 bolts instead of 6. So the inner bolts would be the middle 2 and torqued at 30 and the 4 other would be at 20? Does this sound correct?

Thanks,

------------------
JR
TC #1098
My 69 Convertible

My 2001 Z28

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
There is a reason to use lower torque on the screws for the ends of the manifold. The thermal expansion on an exhaust manifold is quite a bit, so the ends must be a little bit free to move with temperature. Hence the lower torque on endmost the fasteners.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never doubted there was a reason for the difference, I just wanted to make sure I understood which ones were inner and which ones were outrer. That said, are there only 2 inner and the other 4 are outer?

Thanks

------------------
JR
TC #1098
My 69 Convertible

My 2001 Z28

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.