Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for making another post....

Well, I had mentioned the other day my car didn't want to turn on again and I had to jump start it with a screwdriver to get it home. Well, yesterday morning I was able to turn the car on fine, and it kept turning on, so this morning I took it work. Well, I was about a mile or so away from home and about 2 blocks before my freeway entrance when the car turned off on me. My lights had power, and I couldn't turn it on in neutral, so I let the car coast and I parked it. The motor was cranking over, and sounded like it wanted to turn on, but it didn't. It got to the point where the motor didn't want to turn over anymore with the key, so I tried pop starting it again with a screwdriver, but it to just cranked over. Anyway, I ended up calling AAA and towed the car home. Is there anything else to look for/check to see what the problem is...without having to buy any equipment? If I MUST buy a testor of some sort, then I'm going to have to some how some way scrap up some money to buy what I need to test what needs to be tested. Please bare with me as I'm am trying to do and check everything that is suggested by everyone here....and as long as finances permit. If there is a testor for $4 like John mentioned, then please let me know what brand, make, model, etc., it is so that I can get it. Thank you everyone!

·
Gold Founding Member
63,026 Posts
Sounds like maybe you might have two problems.

Well back to basics
Need to see if the problem of cranking over but not starting is a spark or gas problem then find out why it's necessary to jump the starter solenoid at times.

Lets hope it doesn't just start working OK when you try to check it out. Intermittent problems can be a real pain to catch in "failed" mode.

You can pick up an inexpensive test light at most any auto parts store.

here is a cheap multi meter:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92020

·
Registered
85 Posts
These types of deals irritate me to!!
I would be incline to suggest that your Ignition switch is BAD... When you start the car or attempt to, the shaft engages, but as the shifter is moved (in a automatic) or the column is jarred, ie driving over bumps or whatever then the switch can be moved causing an entermittent short, if you haven't it I would start there, The are a couple of bucks at the parts store $8. :cool:

--------------------------------------------------
Please keep the troops in your prayers.
Jack

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by Dean:
Sounds like maybe you might have two problems.

Well back to basics
Need to see if the problem of cranking over but not starting is a spark or gas problem then find out why it's necessary to jump the starter solenoid at times.

Lets hope it doesn't just start working OK when you try to check it out. Intermittent problems can be a real pain to catch in "failed" mode.

You can pick up an inexpensive test light at most any auto parts store.

here is a cheap multi meter:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92020
If you click on SALE ITEMS in the left hand column, then select MEASURING EQUIPMENT, you will see one on sale for $4.99. Cheap meters but good for once in awhile use.
www.harborfreight.com

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot guys, hopefully I can buy a meter this friday. Unfortunatly, my landlord scr*wed me over this past week when he cashed the rent 3-4 days before the post date I had left. Now I have over $100 in over draft fees, plus whatever my bank covered for me for my purchases :mad:
Now I have to wait till friday's check to get me out of a negative balance and hope that I can buy the meter, and if necessary, other items I may need. Thank you everyone for helping me out and be VERY patient! Much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Ark68SS:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by LeoP:
bear not bare :eek:
Yeah, I thought maybe he was looking for a skinny dipping partner.

BL
</font>[/QUOTE]LOL, I wasn't sure which "bare/bear" it was. I didn't want to put "bear" if it was wrong and someone make a comment similar to this :D

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I think I finally figured it out!!!!!

I was looking around the engine compartment a little while ago and figured if the motor cranks over but doesn't turn on, then it must be a ground wire. Well something told me to check the coil, and low and behold, the ground wire for the coil had slipped out of it's fitting
I slapped on a new fitting, and it turns on right away.............

NOW!? If this truely my problem, and the motor was able to crank over without the ground wire being connected.....then why or what could have caused the starter not to get any power when I'd turn the ignition? Was the ground wire part of my problem and now I'm half way done? Or was it coincidence that there wouldn't be any power when I'd try to turn the car on with the key? I guess I'll just have to drive it around and hope/see if the problem was fixed, or if it's "hiding out" from me right now :confused:

Well, I hope I didn't frustrate anyone with my many questions, and as usual, you guys are great!!!!
***IF*** anything happens, and I'm praying things stay well, I'll repost if neccessary....Thanks a lot guys, everyone has been a tremendous help!!!! :D

·
Banned
1,159 Posts
Check the little things first like clean tight battery connections and the POS + battery cable clean and tight to starter, they work loose ALOT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts