Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bumped this back to the top because I need a story with good results. I can't afford to have this hood ruined. I can't find any of these in the West, let alone one in perfect condition that is the same color of my son's car! HELP!

I am going to have a, (perfect), original 70 ss hood shipped from Spring Hill, Florida to Anahiem, CA. I've been told frieght companies have a habit of damaging things like this, so I am very apprehensive.

Does anyone have any tips for me?
Anybody do this kind of thing regularly?
Any dealers or autoparts store people out there that can help?
Anybody driving from Fl to Ca with a truck in the future?

HELP!

[This message has been edited by driverk (edited 10-26-2001).]

·
Registered
190 Posts
i worked at a dealership and at least 50% we received were damaged,the corners got bent the worst. make sure you have it insured for the value of a new replacement,check it before delivery person leaves and signs paper showing damage,then file a claim with the carrier and buy a new one.or have someone you know and trust transport it for you.hope this helps.JIMK

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Had some parts shipped from AZ years ago. Doors and a Trunk floor. The people that sell this stuff are not professional packers. The doors ended up with fork lift damage and slightly bent corners.

I would ask the shipper to find a professional packing companey to prep the hood for shipping. I would recommend some type of wood crate. It will have to be fabed up for the hood specifically. It will be worth whatever the cost. Otherwise I can assure you the corners will be bent.
The crate should also prevent any dings and dents to the flat sheetmetal surfaces as well.

You can't be to careful cause the shippers could care less.

God luck,

FastSS396man

------------------
69' SS396 Chevelle
L78 396/375hp
M-21 Close Ratio
10 year Resto
It's brand new again!

[This message has been edited by fastss396man (edited 10-23-2001).]

[This message has been edited by fastss396man (edited 10-23-2001).]

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
use the advice above, INSURE it and get a new 1 when they destroy it
i packed the heck out of a perfectly restored 71ss dash and also had FRAGILE all over it, etc. etc. when UPS delivered it, it was destroyed..... 3 months to collect insurance (the buyer was very nice about waiting for $800 back)

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
(OO=ss=OO)

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
That is some good information. That sounds like a good investment. Shipping things that you know will be destroyed and insuring for a good profit. That sounds sick but people probably do this all the time.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
DONT USE FEDEX,Ive only recieved two items,but both were trash when i got them.

My trans didnt even make it to me,damaged in shipping.

[This message has been edited by supersport396_2000 (edited 10-26-2001).]

·
Registered
133 Posts
I work at a freight company and see stuff like that shipped all the time. I will have to say that not all of them just dont care. Me and my friends at work care and get pissed when something comes in damaged. We work at a smaller facility than the break bulk terminals. (100+ doors) we have 10 doors here. It will get sent through a break bulk terminal and it WILL most likely get damaged unless packaged right. Its not right and it sucks but what they do with sheetmetal is put it where it fits on the trailer. IE..on top of freight or on its side. The only advice i have for you is make sure they pack it up really well and put THICK cardboard on the edges or pack it in a wooden crate. good luck....CHRIS

G

·
Since the hood is not doubt over the limit for UPS and FedEx would be more for shipping than you paid for the hood you are left with one of the big freight movers.

I sell and ship Muncie transmissions all over the place and the only way I was able to get them there without damage was to build a 30 pound wood shipping crate. Bullet proof!

That is just what I would do for this hood, have the shipper build a crate that holds the hood and protects the corners from damage. The guys who ship fiberglass get the stuff there, it's all in the way it's packed.

It will be big, heavy and just gnarly enough that they won't be able to hammer the part.

It will cost a little more but it will get there in one undamaged piece.

------------------
www.muncie4speed.com
Gold 67
This is Chevy country, on a clear night you can hear a Ford rust!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.