Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i've been on this site for a long time, like 2+ years, and i still don't know what an rv cam is :p

I see it all the time and i just have no clue.

So for all you new guys, don't be scared to ask questions, i've been here a long time and i still get stumped!

So, somebody please enlighten me

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan
'71 Malibu with a home built 454!
member.xoom.com/Gandalf80/

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
RV as in recreational vehicle...basically a low rpm cam that peaks out at 4500-5000, used primarily for low end torque and towing.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet
69/71 camaros

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
A) A cam put out by a company called "Racing Victories".
B) A cam that falls between your 3/4 race and full race cam grinds.
C) A camera that lets RV drivers see whats behind them, like a rear view mirror.
D) uhhh...I dunno

My final answer is "D"....yes Regis, thats my final answer.

I once got a reground cam with an "RV" grind that seem to produce alot of low end torque, but fell on it's face at 4G or so. I think it's like the "3/4 race cam" terminology in that the only thing it tells you is that it isn't stock. Maybe producing low-end torque applies to all RV cams...maybe not...

Edited part: Opps, I took too long...DropTop's reply wasn't there when I originally set out to replie to the question.

[This message has been edited by Gene McGill (edited 02-12-2000).]

·
Registered
13,151 Posts
As Drptop says, a Recreational Vehicle.
A cam specifically designed to give strong, low to midrange torque/power. Generally it will fall on it's face after 4500-5000rpm. This would be good for a 4x4 Suburban.

Now, someone tell me what Gen X means.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
70 Posts
Did'nt know if you were kidding or not DZ.If not,Gen X =generation X.I'm a late baby boomer myself.
As long as were on the subject,at the top of my new cam's spec card it says "3/4 race",I'm guessing this is slang for a radical street,but mild strip cam?Just curious.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Find yourself a copy of "Rod & Custom" or "Hot Rod" from around 1957, or so, and you'll see the terms "Full Race" and "3/4 Race" cams. Hey--we could buy speed equipment for our '53 Plymouth flathead six in those good old days.

·
Registered
13,151 Posts
I'v seen the term Gen X many times but have never figured out what it means.

JJ,
You're right about the speed equip in the old days. My first "hot rodding" was a 3carb and dual exhaust setup from an old Corvette 6 on my 51 Chev and a Fenton floor shift conversion for the 3sp with a closed driveshaft. That 51 Chev has a 350/Muncie today.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. When i heard RV i always thought "motorhome" so i was left thinking "huh, what the heck".

There's one more fact that i can cram into my head about my chevelle, and take some more room away from school info

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan

·
Registered
12 Posts
I run an ISKY "RV" cam in my 67' wagon this is what they say about it:
best overall cam for towing. trucks, vans, R.V. ect. Broad torque band. Good vacuum. 3:55-4:10 axle ratio. 9.5:1 compr. computer compatible. Smooth idle. RPM range (1800-5000). Valve lift(.425/.435)Valve lash hot(.000/.000) ADV duration(256-262) .050 duration(202-208) LC110

ISKY part#201262

with the weight of my wagon and sometimes towing this one worked out very well for me. The old beast will still get up and go....

------------------
jtkirk13 (steve gold#222)

www.angelfire.com/mo2/chevellewagon

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've got would be considered a RV cam in my 72, it sure helps pull the 2:73 gears, but it also dies @5000 rpm

·
Registered
283 Posts
This is Cranes "Energizer 3/4 Race" cam.
P/N 103072
Grind 282-H08
Lift int/ex. 533
Advertised duration 282
Min rpm 2500
Max rpm 5500
My El Camino loves this cam, so do I. Mean
sounding idle and it scoots the heavy car pretty good.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model, 69 Chevelle coupe
70 El Camino,71 SS Camaro
79 Corvette
Kerrville,Tx.
A Camel is a Horse designed by a commitee

·
Registered
622 Posts
One generation equals about 22 years - from the time a person is born till they have kids (some kind of average) - - - -
X equals 10 in roman numerals.- - - -
USA statred in 1776 - - -
22 years times 10 = 220 years for 10 generations - - - -1776 plus 220= 1996 - - - -thus we are in the tenth generation of the United States.??? Heard that somewhere and it sounds good to me.

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !In Durham N.C.
Make it look the way you like it, forget what the other guys say! :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
What does the idle of an "rv" cam sound like? Is it smooth or rough? I want a rough idle, good gas mileage and low end power. Is that possible? I have a solid cam right now in my 396, and want to keep the idle. I think a muscle car has to have that idle.

I, also, always thought of a motorhome when I thought of an rv cam.

One time when an older friend (he's 65, i'm 19) of mine asked what engine was in my car and I told him 396, he said,"That's what engine I have in my motorhome." That surprised me at the time, but I guess its not that strange, because they have 454's all the time.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Sorry wad, unless you come up with a variable duration camshaft, you are asking for the impossible. For that idle sound you like you need high duration and especially overlap, which moves the power band up higher, and kills gas milage. That great idle sound is pumping unburned gas right out the tailpipe. RV cams are smooth idle, because there is little overlap, helping low end torque. Solution? Build a big block with a cam of 280 or so duration at .050. You will get the idle sound, and still have plenty of low end, cause you cant kill big block torque. But cant have it all, make sure you got gas money!

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet
69/71 camaros

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
I was in California when I first heard the term RV cam (late 70's), and just thought that the Recreational vehicle part meant that it was not for use in a normal smog controlled street engine. The one i spoke of earlier in this post was for a Pontiac 350...can't imagine what kind of rec vechicle that would go in...4x4 or otherwise

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
my 454 has an RV cam

drives nice as loads of low end torque but falls flat on its face aboe 3500..
3500 = 70 mph for me so for driving it is just rite...

for tearing up the track it has no top end...
with 9:1 pistons i think its giveing me a little more overall than the stock 1970 LS-5

if interested i will email my dyno results in MS excel file format so you can see what an RV cam is / does

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
46 but feeling like 20 when i'm in my 70 SS 454
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hehe, i love how a simple question on here can create such an interesting conversation

Somebody said if you want some of everything you need a big engine with about 280 degrees duration. That's exactly what i have, a 454 with a comp cams 280H magnum. I love it and it whoops some major...butt. Around 10.5:1 compression, but i have 2.73 gears in it now, so i get 65mph at about 2600 rpm, 70mph is still under 3000rpm, but i get 15mpg on the highway!!! That's only 3 less than the 350 i had before

Anyway, it is awsome off the line, loads of torque, but it will pull hard until it kills itself. I can't go higher than about 4500 rpm yet because I still have the lighter valve springs in for cam breakin, but the heavy springs go in this spring and then the redline moves up to around 5500-6000. Can't wait.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan

·
Registered
51 Posts
What's a cam?

....just kidding

------------------
Scott, 20