Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got into my car this morning and as I am going down my street I go into second gear and as I let off the clutch KLUNK, click click click click. If I clutch it, its quite. So I took the car home (a block away) and parked it not wanting to do any more damage then what was done already. Starting it up in the driveway if I put it in neutral and take my foot off the clutch it makes a bad knocking, ticking sound. The clutch feels a little spongy and abnormal. putting the car in gear the clutch seems to be grabbing fine and anytime I have the clutch in, its quite. If the car is going and I am just coasting in gear (only have tried in first when I was limping it home, never shifted) it makes the noise. This is my daily driver and I need this car. Here is a sound clip of the clicking sound below. keep in mind I am idling and it makes the sound when in neutral and my foot OFF the clutch. this is what i was doing in the sound clip. Any ideas?? BTW its a m21, and I belive a stock GM clutch that looked good when i changed the motor about 1500 miles ago..

the sound http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/m21.wav

Thanks very much

------------------
Thomas (AKA Hot66ss)
66 Super Sport Now striped frame off Project
67 Malibu Getting there.
69 El camino Beater Mild 355, M21 4 speed (Daily Driver)
Video of me in Elco smoking the tires
Aces Member 2380
Team Chevelle member #262

[This message has been edited by Hot66ss (edited 04-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Hot66ss (edited 04-26-2001).]

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
sounds like the throw out bearing to me with clutch in pressure on bearing no noise

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Could be a broken spring in the pressure plate but keep in mind that when you push the clutch in the input shaft and cluster gear stops rotating in the tranny. If the clutch feels different than normal id start there.
Anyway you look at it, it will have to come apart.
Have you checked the fluid in the trans lately???

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any other guess before I pull it all apart?? I am going to replace the clutch pressure plate and throwout bearing while I'm in there, hopefully I just find a broken pressure plate spring?? What kind of clutch and pressure plate do you guys recommend?? Its a daily driver putting out in the low 300's hp range. It does get its fair share of abuse any recommendations?

------------------
Thomas (AKA Hot66ss)
66 Super Sport Now striped frame off Project
67 Malibu Getting there.
69 El camino Beater Mild 355, M21 4 speed (Daily Driver)
Video of me in Elco smoking the tires
Aces Member 2380
Team Chevelle member #262

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hot66ss, That is exactly the same problem I had with my 3-speed, I was going to replace with a 4-speed anyways, so tore it down and found nothing wrong with the cluch, pressure plate, or throw out bearing, they were new only 2000 miles ago. After the m-21 install everything was fine! I couldn't get your sound file to work but I know that sound! It sounds like someone put rocks in the trany doesnt it!?!? When it happend to me my face was about this red

ps. and my cluch did feel very soft also

------------------
a built up 355 m21 3.73posy=one cool street machine!
my 69 chevelle!

[This message has been edited by Ryan_69' (edited 04-28-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.