Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to change oil & filter in my recently acquired Chevelle. It's a 454 of unknown origin (truck motor maybe). I put in exactly 5 quarts, and after running it, checked the level. Uh oh, it's showing way above the "full" mark-yikes! Looks like a stock GM oil pan. Now, even if supposing an incorrect dipstick, where should the oil level be in the pan? Is there a possibility of a 4 quart capacity pan on some 454s? Any damage possibility from keeping 5 quarts in it? Thanks for any insight!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Usually stock setup is 4 qts in pan and 1 in the filter for a total of 5. Shorter filters take less. Maybe you can get one of the taller filters and come out right. Not good to run overfull.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
You may not have overfilled your engine with oil. As mentioned, if a stock pan holds 4 quarts plus one for the filter you are right where you need to be. Be careful about filters, there is a Chevy filter that holds approximately 2 quarts, and another that holds less that one as well as the most common filter that holds around one quart. Once you do your research, your solution may be to remark the dipstick.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
I use the tall truck filters , They hold a little over a quart. 454s in Chevelles with a stock oil pan, = 4 Qts. plus whatever type filter you are using.
With the oil pan EMPTY. Install the oil pan plug, Dump in 4 Quarts.
Let it set for a min. or two. ( So all the oil drains into the pan.).
NOW pull your dipstick, (This works even with the WRONG dipstick.)
You know you have 4 quarts in the pan. Take a small file and MARK YOUR DIPSTICK at the 4 Qt. level on the stick.
Where ever 4 quarts show on the stick, You have the correct amount in the pan. Buy a tall truck filter, Fill it with oil, Then attach it to the engine ( Takes a little over a quart ).
Stock 396s & 454s Chevelle factory oil pans hold only " 4 " Qts. Again depending on what oil filter you use, Add, Whatever the filter holds to the 4 Qts. in the pan and that will be the total amount of oil in your engine & pan.
Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts