Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys use on intake bolts?

Do you use ARP thread sealant or something like black silicone? Mine fresh 383, built by a professional builder used ARP and had over half of the intake bolts weeping with oil. Pulled them out and cleaned them up and used black silcone and now its dry with no weeping. Seems most professionals say use the ARP stuff, but in this case it was leaking......

Opinions?

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,709 Posts
I used the same white teflon brush on sealer that I used on my head bolts only had the engine running in the garage not driveable yet but no leaks

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,709 Posts
I did let it set up for a few days before starting the engine though

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,417 Posts
One thing you have to remember even though you clean the bolt threads up the threads in the head still have a coating of oil in them.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I use white teflon paste. RTV is fine to use as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Like everyone already said, use a thread sealer, I like ARP thread sealer, I use it on all oil pan bolts, head bolts, rocker studs, intake bolts, water pump bolts. Any bolt that has a potential to have a blind hole to an oil galley or coolant jacket. Takes a little more time but my driveway stays clean.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I've used ARP thread sealer on both the head bolts and intake bolts. Never had an issue.

·
Premium Member
9,039 Posts
Did the engine builder use ARP thread lube or ARP thread sealant ? 2 different things

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Anything with Teflon in it is actually a lubricant, not a sealant. When used on bolts exposed to coolant, it can get flushed out. Most people have good luck using it but others have problems.

The Permatex Aviation Number 3 is very good. I've always used Permatex High Tack. Impervious to oils, coolants, fuels and temperature swings. Liberally coat the head bolt threads with this sticky stuff and it'll still be there after ten year's use.

Brush in cap or spray on for coating gaskets. I put that **** on everything!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I use this same stuff on my head bolts, intake bolts, and water pump bolts. Works really well!!

Anything with Teflon in it is actually a lubricant, not a sealant. When used on bolts exposed to coolant, it can get flushed out. Most people have good luck using it but others have problems.

The Permatex Aviation Number 3 is very good. I've always used Permatex High Tack. Impervious to oils, coolants, fuels and temperature swings. Liberally coat the head bolt threads with this sticky stuff and it'll still be there after ten year's use.

Brush in cap or spray on for coating gaskets. I put that **** on everything!

·
Premium Member
17,566 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the replies. Learning a little bit on this subject as I go.

As I said, I used black silicone on the intake bolts as I was taught to do this. I did this only after I noticed oil weeping on a intake on my Dads car. I pulled the bolt out and noticed it did have ARP sealant on it. I cleaned it off and have had no return of oil on the intake with the silicone so far.

Reactions: paul bell

·
Registered
2,424 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,566 Posts
Fair enough. I'd like to see how it comes out from the tube. Does it harden or gel up or does it remain a flowable liquid?
Its kind of a thick paste to begin with, almost like the consistency of toothpaste. I usually apply a small bead to the threads down the length of the threads, and then lightly "roll" the threads against/into another bolt so its a relatively thin layer down inside the threads (coating bolt bolts)... I have used it on intake, water pump and headbolts, temp senders, oil senders and a few others that pass into water or oil... I have never seen weeping after using this stuff.

From what I have seen, it does not harden, and fasteners remove easily... I have seen other "sealers" get hard, crusty and crack with heat and age, but not this stuff...

Not sure how well it actually works as a thread lubricant ( compared to ARP, etc), but torquing head bolts to spec (with a torque wrench), and I have never blown a head gasket, so I assume I am getting full torque to the fasteners...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.