Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 70 SS and was wondering if anyone new the color codes for the oil/temp lights? and also are they single or double leads and is there power going to these leads. thanks steelworker

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Oil light is dark blue while temp is dark green. You will see 12 volts, on these leads, with the key on, sender leads disconnected, and the bulbs installed.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
at the cluster there are two leads going to dummy light
pink will be the hot side dbl is oil and dg is temp
johns test is correct for under the hood
sometimes if 12 volts are not present the idiot light bulbs may be bad

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tom is the water temp a double lead wire or single like the oil pressure? with key on if there is 12 volts going to it wont it pop fuse if i ground to frame like you said? thanks steel

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
oh and no it wont pop the fuse it will turn on the light
what you see is the same as an open swich
the voltage can be read across the switch until it is closed

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tom, if the water temp lead is single then i cannot find, my schematic shows a double wire,comes in and then comes out thew other side and goes to what itlooks like a nother terminal from temp switch into a terminal out looks like a black/dark blue one going to tcs switch the other going totrans switch,this is driving me nuts. By the way i did find the oil light single lead grounded like you said light came on. Thanks steel

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
the dark green wire goes from the idiot light to the ignition switch then to bulk head then should be in the same part of harness as the wires that go to lights and regulator
if it is a six cylinder the wire will be in the alt part of harness
if it is an eight then the wire comes out of the harness about one foot from bulk head and normally has protective fabric wrapped around it
and will be on drivers side 6 will be on passenger side

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
The oil and temperature warning light circuits are very simple. Your engine is "ground". You'll have a positive voltage going to the light when you turn on the key.

The ground side of the light goes to the sensor. The sensor is nothing but a switch. When the switch closes (low oil pressure, or high temperature), it completes the circuit to ground.

So you have a constant hot going to the light, and a ground going to the sensor. But there is no ground until there's a problem. That's when the light comes on.

I set mine up with LED's.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
there is a light green wire but that goes to the headlights
you are definately looking for a dark green wire
lg is 16 gauge
dg is 20 gauge (thinner)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
there is 2 connectors in the bulk head, am i going to be looking in the one closest to the fender or towards the center of car? the one for the oil is in bulk head connector towards the center of car. thanks steel

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
oil is in one farthest from fender
temp is in one that is closest, should be either 2nd or 3rd row down and 2nd column in from fender

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank you my friend i will check in a bit. i'll send reply in about 2 hrs. thanks steel

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
i dont know for sure but the temp sensor may have an extra wire in the system to stop the cowl from opening before coming up to temp
this is just a wild --- guess though
i've seen this application on other vehicles for different reasons
but i have no schematics on a 70 with these options

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey tom, cannot find a single green wire coming out of the one closest to fender except the one going to the lights. there is two coming out of the inboard harness hub one green and one green with a white stripe. both of these wires are going to a common plug, this is the plug i was asking you about b4, the harness in this car is from a 1972, but the car is a 1970 chevelle,i have both of the schematics (70/72) and neither one shows green with white stripe. turned key on powered up nopower in either wire, unlike the oil pressure. someone helpppp
steel

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I checked all over and can't find anything
the only way I can Think of is to go right from the temp light and make sure it is green there
then go to fuse box and find the same wire
(you may need to unbolt it from the firewall and split it open (3\8" head for bolt in center of bulkhead under hood and 5/16" head on inside then two plastic retainers)and see where the wire goes to then follow it through the bulkhead)UNHOOK THE BATTERY
I will check back around 1 pm eastern

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.