Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just about ready to fire off my engine, just a few more pieces I am waiting for. I was going to prime the engine with a tool this weekend, but I am not sure when I will actually start the thing.

How long can I safely let it sit after priming (1 day? 1 week?)? It would seem to me that after priming, it could sit for months (much like when you park you car for a few months), because the pump and all passages are full, with only minor leakage occuring after that.

Will it be safe to prime tomorrow and let it sit for 2 weeks?

Thanks

------------------
Tony
1966 SS L78 coupe
1966 SS convertible
1965 Impala convertible
1 wife that has drawn the line...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I prime the engine just before I'm ready to fire it. If it has hydralic lifters they need to be pumped up first by the prime. Plus all the components will have a libral dosing of oil, just before. I wouldn't let it sit. JMO.

I also use an old distributor housing and shaft for my primer.

pete

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
I also like to disable the ignition and turn the egine a few turns with the starter after priming the oil pump. I think it helps the oil to coat the bearing surfaces and you can listen for any noises that shouldn't be there.

------------------
Elcaminos are special!

I'd rather walk around with a Chevrolet hubcap in my hand than drive a Ford

work in progress
Big James Elky(AKA Ol Paint)
www.chevelles.com/showroom/workgoeson1.jpg

·
Registered
49 Posts
Drop that tool down the dist shaft hole just before your ready to start the motor not the week or day before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.