Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since chevelles come with a four quart oil pan they are limited in capacity for oil supply to a high revving big block. Although the big block oiling system is a good system, it sometimes become's necessary to accomodate higher performance. Often when using a solid lifter cam, flat tappet or roller, too much oil can be pumped up into the top end, not returning quickly enough to supply the pump therefore resulting in low or no oil pressure while going down track at rpm. Several manufacturer's offer restrictors which thread into the oil galley's in the back of the block, limiting the amount of oil to the top. How many of you on this site use these restrictors with a visible difference? Dan

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
The std bbc oil capacity is 5 qts with the std ac pf25 oil filter so the pan capacity is actually a little less the 5 qts,approx 4.5 qts & filter holds approx .5 qt oil.

With the larger ac pf35 oil filter the oil capcity goes up to approx 5.5 qts & the larger filter holds approx 1qt oil.

As far as oil restictors go as Chris stated dont use them,the bbc oiling system is good in stock form,go with a std m77 pump & opt higher psi spring and you should be fine.

Scott

·
Registered
36 Posts
I used to run sprint cars and used them on my sbc. With a high volume oil pump and a large pan, without the restrictors the motor would fill the valve covers and push the oil out the breathers. Of course those engines saw rpm's you will not see on the street.

I see no need for them in any street application.

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
I used the OIL RESTRICTERS in a 455 Olds in a Ski boat with jet drive. With stock oil pan, stock bottom end, erson cam it would start draining the pan at WOT and start doing damage to the rod bearings every summer. With the more beer you drink babying the engine disappeared, and rod bearing damage came about.
The fix was a 7 quart oil pan, performance oil pump (melling), RESTRICTORS and a cross drilled crank, all by Joe Mondello. After installing those parts never again did I change rod bearings or anything that needed oil, except filter.

·
Premium Member
11,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The chevelle pan has a four quart capacity and yes, with the oiling system including the filter you can put five quarts in it. This does'nt change the fact that at high rpm with a MECHANICAL cam there is often more oil in the top end than in the four quart pan which can and does lose oil pressure. There are several approaches for remedy but my question was, "how many of you use oil restrictor's"? Those of you who use hydraulic lifters are not really subjected to this phenomenon.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
the restrictors that are needed in an olds are put into the camshaft journals

are those the ones you used .. or were they like put in the back of the block ...there is a major difference...
I used moroso oil restrictors for 2 years and about 35,000 miles with a solid flat tappet cam and stock pan and a melling m55 pump with mobil1 synthetic ...i had ZERO problems and the cam was removed and was perfect ,,ran it in another engine with the lifters on the same lobes..and no troubles...

That was 7years ago and things have changed, many new ways of thinking ...Now i would run no restrictors and edm lifters

·
Premium Member
11,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I personally use the moroso p/n 22010 and drill the restrictor hole's to .080. They go in the oil galley's in the rear of the block. I use a moroso 22150(std volume pump) with a "pink" relief spring. I also use the isky edm lifters. The engine is a MKIV, is 500 inches and is spun to 72-7300 rpm's. It idles at 40 psi in gear and runs at 70-72psi depending on rpm. I just like looking at the guage and seeing oil pressure. When I used a HV77 I ran the pan dry and pressure fell off rapidly at higher rpm. This engine has seen street service and mid tens for over two years.

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
the restrictors that are needed in an olds are put into the camshaft journals

are those the ones you used .. or were they like put in the back of the block ...there is a major difference...
I used moroso oil restrictors for 2 years and about 35,000 miles with a solid flat tappet cam and stock pan and a melling m55 pump with mobil1 synthetic ...i had ZERO problems and the cam was removed and was perfect ,,ran it in another engine with the lifters on the same lobes..and no troubles...

That was 7years ago and things have changed, many new ways of thinking ...Now i would run no restrictors and edm lifters
In the OLDS engine the restrictors were put in the cam shaft journals, restricting oil to the lifters.
This was about 25 years ago or more.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Richy Rich- I thought so on that olds,,they all needed to restrict the oil to the top a bit,, really helps with the bearing problems,,,especially in the boats

·
Gold Founding Member
10,967 Posts
Often when using a solid lifter cam, flat tappet or roller, too much oil can be pumped up into the top end, not returning quickly enough to supply the pump therefore resulting in low or no oil pressure while going down track at rpm.
at high rpm with a MECHANICAL cam there is often more oil in the top end than in the four quart pan which can and does lose oil pressure. There are several approaches for remedy but my question was, "how many of you use oil restrictor's"? Those of you who use hydraulic lifters are not really subjected to this phenomenon.
Why would hydraulic lifters NOT pump excess oil to the top end?
the restrictors that are needed in an olds are put into the camshaft journals.
There are (at least) two things that can be restricted on an Olds. The common and easy place is to restrict the oil going to the cam bearings. Some folks buy press-in restrictors that fit into the oil galley leading from the main journals to the cam journals. I just drill a smaller oil hole in the cam bearings, then line up the smaller hole with the oil galley. I already own the drill and bit--why buy restrictors?

The secondary place is to re-size the oil hole in the lifter bosses to restrict oil to the lifters. Threading the 16 oil holes for a tiny set-screw, and then drilling through all 16 of the set screws to a specified size is the usual method.

In the OLDS engine the restrictors were put in the cam shaft journals, restricting oil to the lifters.
This was about 25 years ago or more.
Restricting oil at the journals cannot change the amount of oil sent to the lifters on the Olds block.

Let's keep in mind that the primary cooling for the valve springs is via the oil. Restrict the oil, and spring temperature can be an issue. Some valve covers are being made with spray bars designed to carry pressurized oil and shoot it on the springs as a cooling aid.

In a Chevy, it was easy enough to use "edge orifice" lifters instead of restrictors; the lifters themselves don't pass as much oil. Anyone still make edge orifice lifters?

Olds engines have an extremely poor oil-return system. In addition, there can be additional but separate problems with getting sufficient oil to the bearings. For many moderate-RPM applications though, just fixing the oil return problem cures the overall oiling system issues.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Very good. I remember hearing about the smaller hole in the cam bearing fix, and completely forgot.Thanks

Some times we tend to over complicate things..

·
Premium Member
11,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't know for sure but don't think the edge orifice lifters aren't readilty available. The hydraulic lifter is more restrictive than the solid for one and for #2 hydraulics don't rpm quite the same as a solid. I think the MAJORITY of the hydraulics out there rarely even see 6000 rpm's. It is true that oil cools the spring but like stated before, over two years driving all over the place and several trips to the track which is a thirty mile drive one way and so far I have no spring or oil pressure issues. The car is running 6.69 1/8th so I say if it works don't fix it.

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Restricting oil at the journals cannot change the amount of oil sent to the lifters on the Olds block.

THEY go into the mains on the 455 Olds as discribed below from Mondello
R-104 Oil Restrictor Kit
Same as R-100 except this kit contains a set of 4 (No. 1, 2, 3, 4 mains) for bracket racing, all out competition and MARINE.

Schurkey, you know your Ods engines.. :thumbsup:

·
Vendor
9,399 Posts
So why on a solid roller but not on a solid flat tappet?
Flat tappet cams have more friction therefore require more oil to prevent pre-mature camshaft loss. Solid roller cams and solid roller lifters (with needle bearings) require less oil due to having less friction.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts