Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new oil pump from oriellys "for my 402 bbc" and it came with a spring. I have no idea what this spring is for? We left it out because my buddy says i dont need it. Is it ok to leave it out? The motor is already in the car but i havent started it yet. Any help would be great.
BillDozer

·
Registered
85 Posts
thats probably a pressure release spring, its supposed to limit maximum oil pressure. if thats what it is and its left out you wont have any oil pressure. you could check by priming the engine with a drill and hooking up a mechanical gauge.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
It actually should come with two springs. One installed(normal pressure), and a high pressure spring you can use if you want higher oil pressure. The high pressure spring should be a purple or pinkish color.

·
Premium Member
6,426 Posts
the second spring is often called a "corvette" spring it is a high pressure spring the pump will work fine with out it if you want standerd oil pressure.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he said he didnt even know where to put the spring. So my question is how can i tell if i need the spring that was left out before starting the motor? please help!!!!!

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
The spring goes inside the oil pump cover. You already have a spring in there...a stock one. You could have removed it and installed the high pressure spring before you put the pan on. I like using the HP spring on stock pumps..works great. But it's a little late now. It will have oil pressure fine..it just will probably peak around 50 or so when warmed up...which is fine too for average rebuilds. Depends on oil used and clearances.

JIM

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
BillD, which pump did you get? I'm about to get a new pump for my 402, but there are so many choices. I'm guessing you got the Melling? (either M77 or M77HV?) That's all I saw on the O'reilly site. The M77HV is actually $4 cheaper at O'reilley's than Summit

·
Vendor
9,393 Posts
It actually should come with two springs. One installed(normal pressure), and a high pressure spring you can use if you want higher oil pressure. The high pressure spring should be a purple or pinkish color.

Ditto....

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
thats probably a pressure release spring, its supposed to limit maximum oil pressure. if thats what it is and its left out you wont have any oil pressure. you could check by priming the engine with a drill and hooking up a mechanical gauge.
What?????????????????:confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts