Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the procedure for installing a new oil pump drive shaft into an already complete motor. Ive got everything all buttoned up and didnt even think about installing the shaft before the intake went on. Any ideas, is it as simple as just dropping it in the hole or could it go astray.

·
Super Moderator
13,245 Posts
silver,
It might be possible to do it with the stock thype shaft that uses the plastic coupler, but it would not be easy. You have to get the coupler down onto the oil pump shaft first, then lower the drive shaft down to it and smack it to snap it into place.

If you have the good shaft with the steel collar ... it will not go in from the top, period :(

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Wow ... I hope I did it right. I just help my brother this weekend. He handed me the oil pump shaft as I was getting ready to install the dizzy, hehe I thought. Anyhow, dropped it down that deep dark hole (not thrilled) ... it seemed to fall right into place, and the distributor didn't sit up too tall when lined up.

Did I mess something? I always thought you could install them from the top, just preferred before the intake went on:)

Thanks, Neal

·
Super Moderator
13,245 Posts
Wow ... I hope I did it right. I just help my brother this weekend. He handed me the oil pump shaft as I was getting ready to install the dizzy, hehe I thought. Anyhow, dropped it down that deep dark hole (not thrilled) ... it seemed to fall right into place, and the distributor didn't sit up too tall when lined up.

Did I mess something? I always thought you could install them from the top, just preferred before the intake went on:)

Thanks, Neal
Neal,
If you are talking about a Chevrolet engine, the oil pump shaft is normally attached to the pump with a plastic collar. The collar "snaps" over the pump shaft, then the drive shaft "snaps" into the collar. If yours just dropped into place, the plastic collar is probably missing and it might run for a while but without the collar to keep the shaft centered on the pump, it will cause problems and probably break the pump shaft. I got to thinking about my earlier reply and I am not even sure you could get the stock plastic collar down through the hole in the block. I will have to look at one Thursday to see. I know the metal collarred shaft will not go in from above for sure.

·
Premium Member
9,515 Posts
If there is any dought do it right it seems a pia now but if you destroy something it would seem like it would have been worth it later. I was able to pull the dist raise the motor enough to drop the pan get to the pump bolt drop the pump and instal the shaft with a friend and some luck. If it is on the stand it is a no brainer.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
We'll see ... getting another weekend planned. I tried my BBC at home (on the stand), definitely does not go in from the top!

I'm hoping the collar was already on the oil pump, cause the dizzy did fight me going down some, maybe that snapped it (I wish). We'll see when I pull the dist whether the shaft comes right back up with a magnet or not.

This is on a '68 Camaro ... since the crossmember is further forward, anybody have luck getting the pan out of the way enough to remove/replace oil pump?

Also ... I'm going to bring my BBC oil pump for reference. If he is completely missing the plastic collar, will the collar from my BBC match it?

Thanks, Neal

·
Super Moderator
16,128 Posts
Neal,
I know the metal collarred shaft will not go in from above for sure.
I found that out the hard way....

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable with the oil pump shaft collar being entirely in place unless I could actually SEE it. I assemble the shaft to the oil pump before I install the oil pump when using the plastic collar. Then I can visually check that the shaft is fully seated in the groove in the oil pump drive.

The steel collared ones don't snap on so you might think they can be easily installed later from the top. Just ain't so! Pulling that oil pan off after I had everything nicely painted was a PITA, but lesson learned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts