Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just put my car on the road and I am noticing a strange phenomenon. When the car idles hot the oil pressure is about 60lbs. When I start to drive the preasure drops to about 35-40 lbs. Today I took it out and took it up to about 3500 rpm in 4th speed and the pressure droped to about 25lbs. When I bring it back to an idle it goes up to about 60lbs again. This is oppossite from evry engine I have ever had. The motor is a rebuilt LS5 that has about 3-4 hours on it. Any ideas. THanks Don.

·
Registered
702 Posts
What is the year of your block? Is it a fresh rebuild with new oil pump? Did you make sure all the oil passege that need to pluged are? Might be your distributor lifting off the oil pump shaft at a higher rpm. Look into quick before a major "Oh [email protected]#$" occurs. Just a few things to think about.

------------------
JR
70 396SS El Camino #'s Matching.
69 396SS Chevelle, project "Street Bruiser"
H-D Ultra Classic E-Glide
I live to own toyz...

·
Registered
738 Posts
Don, do a search on "oil pressure" and you should find a recent post (past 2 weeks?) about this exact same condition. There were some good responses and I think that some of them may help you too.

------------------
1970 Malibu - 383 'Fog Fed' Stroker! Houston, Texas...Gold Member #39
Now looking for a 70' ragtop to... "Drop a Gear and Disappear!"

W

·
0 Posts
It sounds like the oil pump pickup is laying in the pan or has a hole in the tube and cavitating. Did they weld the tube to the pump and if they did is it possible he blew a small hole it the tube?

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block"
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I agree with Wally sound like a pickup problem. 1. Could be the pickup is at the wrong angle and at high speed the oil is not finding its way to the pan fast enough. 2. Oil pickup is laying in pan. I had the pickup laying in the pan and someone suggested running 2 quarts over full in oil to cover up the hole where the pickup was at all times. I drove the 350 like that for 6 months before I found time to pull the pan,but since this is a new big block I would change the guage first then bleed the oil line and then pull the pan.

------------------
Malibu 307 (aka 406 smblk)
69 SS 396(aka 454)
Wolf in sheeps skin

[This message has been edited by plain 69 (edited 12-14-99).]

·
Registered
826 Posts
We had this EXACT problem a while ago and it turned out the motor was 2 QUARTS LOW! (Please, no lectures. I know, I know. We stopped immediately and refilled.)
However, this condition points to what others are saying: not getting enough oil at higher rpms.

------------------
Tom H.
Member #259
Indianapolis,IN www.iquest.net/~bharold/chevelle/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.