Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. So we found that a lot of the leaking oil in my Malibu is coming from the oil pressure sensor next to the distributor. I am stock using the idiot light only. The gauge seems simple enough, unscrew from the block add a bit of teflon tape to the replacement, then attach the rubber cap back to the electrode post thing. Of course I didn't have a tool that could remove the old unit and ordered it on amazon. However I didn't replace the rubber cap on the unit when putting things back together. I drove to the store and saw a line of oil from the garage all through the alley. I put the cap back on it and change the oil and filter. Only about a quart and a half of oil left in the car. a lot of oil lost in a short time. My question is I thought the basic sensor was just electric and not mechanical. So does this sensor actually send oil somewhere or was the cap acting like a tournakit and lessening the oil being spewed out. I have enclosed a picture of the sensor that I just purchased.

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
The sensor for the idiot light is electrical only. The rubber cap is to keep the connection from corroding, it does nothing for keeping oil in or letting it out.

The sensor is faulty, the threads are damaged and no longer sealing, or you have a completely different problem. It's probably the latter situation.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
The sensor for the idiot light is electrical only. The rubber cap is to keep the connection from corroding, it does nothing for keeping oil in or letting it out.

The sensor is faulty, the threads are damaged and no longer sealing, or you have a completely different problem. It's probably the latter situation.
^^^^What he said. That little red ring around the threads is sealant, so just a guess here , but I'm going to say the part is defective, unless you some how did not tighten it properly, or cross threaded it upon instillation. A regular Deep Socket, if I remember correctly its a 13/16, is all you need, no special tool, but you would want to start the sensor by hand.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies. I will clarify my earlier post. I tried to replace it, realized the 1 1/16 deep socket I ordered would not fit due to the distributor. 1 1/16 is the right width, the new sensor fits perfect. Just would require me to remove the whole distributor assembly which I will avoid since I am still learning how to work on her. I removed the distributor cover to get better access. I have ordered a 1 1/16 wrench with a 5 inch handle and that should suffice to get the bad sensor out. The only changes I made in the engine was that, and tried to work the old sensor out. I am guessing now that I must have loosened it more or damaged it more since it now is jetting oil out upon starting it. I just felt I hadn't changed much in my attempt to remove the bad sensor to see so much oil being lost. I appreciate the advice on here since this car has introduced me to my first real mechanic work. i have learned so much since joining this forum, thanks for all the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts