Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Sport Comp electrical oil pressure gauge from Auto Meter and the sending unit is absolutely HUGE compared to a stock unit. I was going to 'T' a fitting into the existing sender hole, but I don't think said fitting will hold up over time. Is there another hole tapped somewhere I could install the second sender unit? If not, any other suggestions on how to hook it up? This is on a 454 BBC going into a 71 SS so I'm also thinking clearance will be a little tight at the back of the block.

Thanks for this and all the other great info you guys provide.

Bill C.

------------------

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
My car's previous owner put on a mechanical pressure guage, and disconnected the idiot light. I didn't like guages hanging down, so I mounted them under the dash where I can see them with my wife's mirror (I swipe it for a drive). I hooked up the idiot lights for an early warning, if the light comes on, pull over and grab the mirror for more detailed information. I got a switch that kicks at below 20psi (some transmission switch in their catalog, normals are 2-7 psi) and a temperature switch from a GM diesel that kicks at 240 (the stockers are like 280).

Anyway, I needed two ports to sense oil pressure. I bought a "street L" (male one side, female other) and installed it in the normal sender hole. Then I put a Tee on top of that, with one of the pair legs into the L. Got the picture? Now I have one port straight away from the L into which I put the pressure switch, and the pressure line into the other leg which is perpendicular to the whole thing. So it would all fit nicely, I angled it back towards the firewall at about 30 degrees. It works really nicely, and my dash looks stock again.

I think those fittings (T's L's) will stand up fine.

·
Registered
150 Posts
FYI, there is another location just above the oil filter for use as a pressure gauge point. This location was used on almost all engines that came in Corvettes because of the distributor driven tach that they used would not allow room for a sender or fitting on the top rear of the intake. There should be a plug above the oil filter in the side of the block but it may be very hard to get it out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bill:
The main oil galley on your big block is located just above the oil pan rail on the drivers side. There are allen head type plugs that you can remove to mount your sender where ever you have room.
The Tee set-up you mentioned is bulky but mine has worked for years (and over 400 drag strip passes) without any problems.
You could also run an oil pressure line to a remote location and mount a tee where you have more room.
GaryR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.