Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading a posting on oil pressure lines and the length and diameter of the hose. What exactly is the length and diameter of hose you should use on an small block engine for either a factory gauge or aftermarket gauge?

Thanks guys/girls

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
The length depends on you, guage mounting and tube routing.Most guages come with 1/8 capillary tubing. I like to use 1/4 for more acurate guage reading, with the 1/8 the guage creeps up to reading and is a little slow to show pressure drop. the 1/4 line shows acurate readings right away and shows imediate pressure drop. I also like to run the idiot light as well as the guage, you might not notice the guage drop pressure but a little red light might catch your eye a little quicker I know it does for me.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Very good idea, to use the factory idiot light with the gauge. It saved my but once! You just need an extra brass Tee fitting. I just used my stock idiot unit.

------------------
have now>>>>> am building
2.73 open 10bolt>>>>>>3.73 posi 12bolt
350>>>>396 w/nitrous
shooting for 12s in 1/4
college student budget!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I like the light and the guage too! But I myself will not use the plastic line that comes with the guages. I like to use copper. Possible for a pinhole to wear in the plastic. Heard of that happening once and the car burnt up! Just my $.02

------------------
Steve

·
Gold Founding Member
3,081 Posts
I use 1/4" copper with a tee for the idiot. When its cold the 1/8" takes for every to register, real cold won't work at all. Put a loop in the line in the engine compartment so it has some slack when the engine moves around.

·
Registered
12,972 Posts
Using copper rather than plastic is wise and 1-2 loops in the line at thd engine is good for absorbing movement/vibration. Look at how the brake lines are on some cars at the master cylinder.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know I'm going to be tracked down and killed for this question
But when you say 1/4" are you talking I.D. or O.D. of the tube? Also will any copper flex tubing work ie from a water supply line for the ice maker on a frig.? Sorry!! Also would you have to put a loop in the line if you are using a braided line?

Thanks Tom

------------------
Tom
Southern,IL
67SS Yellow right now

Member #409

[This message has been edited by Madmax (edited 02-07-2000).]

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Madmax, Im pretty sure the size is the O.D. I think tubing is measured at O.D. and pipe is measured at I.D. As far as supplies I get most pluming for my cars at the hardware store. seems to be more expensive if it is from auto store. I like to use copper line also but I have a 4x4 that flexes way too much and broke the line 2 times while weeling so I put plastic on for now. I'll put a braided line on later, thanks to the other sugestions on this topic. Didnt think about that before, good idea guys.

·
Registered
12,972 Posts
Bret is right. Tubing is measured by OD, pipe by ID.

------------------
Tom Parsons

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.