Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a two step Oil Pan for my 67 BB. Does
anyone know if I can use this pan or do I need the short sump single step pan. I also have a long sump single step but it will hit the crossmember.

Thanks
Don

·
Registered
39 Posts
I assume you are putting this in an A-body. No, the "double" sump pan will not fit... period. I assume the "long" sump pan you refer to is a Corvette pan. No, it will not fit either. A "single" sump pan should fit a 68-72 model A-body without any problem.

I had problems putting my BBC in a 66. The inner tie rods hit the pan. Used a torch and a ball-peen hammer to dimple the pan for clearance. Anyone have comments?

------------------

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
Hodge,
I'm glad you mentioned that, I was afraid to. I suppose if someone were out in the wilderness and desperate for a pan that would clear a x-member, then a rather large hammer could be used very cautiously.

------------------

·
Registered
18 Posts
DZ - a related story -

I was out in the wilderness, but didn't realize that I had "need" to clear the crossmember. But a ROCK made sure that it cleared the crossmember. Unfortunately, it wasn't so cautious. It punched a hole in the pan.

Now for the punchline (so to speak) - for whatever reason, I had a couple of quarts of oil, a screwdriver, a pencil, and some rubber tire patches (I worked in a "FULL" service station, where I wrenched a lot, and did lots of tire repairs).

I couldn't get the hole plugged with the pencil (normally a good plan), so I stuck several of the tire patches (I had several sizes) over the hole in the pan. I took the screwdriver shaft and made sure that they were making good contact. I then added the oil, and drove back to town, almost 50 miles.

I drove it to the shop, and put it on the rack. The rubber patches had vulcanized to the pan, and it was leak proof.

I drove it another 50,000 miles this way, before selling the car with the patch still on it!

I always wondered if a future owner wondered what the rubber thingy was on the oil pan, and removed it >grin<.

>>>Rod<<<

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
So you're the guy that sold the Chevelle to the guy I bought it from.

------------------

·
Registered
421 Posts
Well if you really wanted to get crafty you could cut and weld a passage for rods or crossmembers or what ever you wanted, just be sure leave space under the passage for oil flow.

------------------
Francis Taracido
[email protected]
Proud Patron of Quadzilla

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ok,Ok. I guess I'll admit it now! I torched and hammered my oil pan
I bought a new crate 454 for my '67. The deep pan that came on it was way too big. I bought the pan that GM suggested. That pan hit the x-member slightly on the outside edges of the pan. I had to turn to the torch and hammer. with a few taps I had all the clearance I needed...ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

------------------

JoeS
"67 Malibu",

[This message has been edited by Joe454 (edited 06-07-99).]

[This message has been edited by Joe454 (edited 06-07-99).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.