Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please tell lme what oil pan will fit a big block 68 or 69 Chevelle. The crate motors come with 6 quart pans which hit the frame crossmember. I do not wish to restrict the pan size to 4 quarts ( I know there are some tricks to run an extra quart ) I would like to run 6, 7 or 8 quarts on a new 502 and an older 454. Thanks RB

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am curious as to the concern about 4 quarts. What is the basis for this? Is there a concern about starvation during street use?

Since they originally put these on the 454, I was thinking I could go with similar for the new block. I am probably going with a new 502 in my 70SS and had planned to put in a pan they offer from chevy. I was thinking of bigger modified pan but worry about headers hitting these. I think I remember one being offered by Hamburger by Mr Gasket that was 5 quart?????

Any help from experts would also be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, to be honest, I do not know as much as most of the people who post messages here, but I just kind of figured that as engines ge t bigger, so do the oil pans. I had a 6 qt pan on my LS 6 crate engine which I replaced with a 4 qt. pan, when it was seen to hit the frame crossmember, later I got a ticking sound, which does go away, and I was just never very happy with the whole situation. I figure for cooling as well as lubrication, bigger will be better...not talking huge just 6 or 7 quarts...the engine is not yet in the car, and it just feels like the right thing....others please let me have you opinions...you can never have too much information...Thanks again.....RB

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,274 Posts
rb

Might look at it this way: Chevy sold these cars new with a 4 qt pan, providing a full warranty and knowing real well what some guy was going to do with an LS6/7 Chevelle. IMO, one of the keys to thinking about this situation is that chevy did not build/sell these engines with a high volume, high pressure oil pump. If you run one of these pumps, you would do well to consider a larger volume pan. A stock pump does not have near the problem pumping all the oil up into the valve covers/ valley area. More of the oil stays in the pan around the pickup where it's needed, not in the V/Cs where it's not. "Around the pickup" is worth remembering when you start looking at the aftermarket pans that have a widened floor. More floor area= more room for the oil to run away from the pickup.

Just a few thoughts.

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.