Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to install an LS6 oil pan(6 quart)
and I wanted to make sure I get the right pick-up tub and screen. Can anyone tell me the right length tub for this? Also I wanted to know if they make a one-piece oil pan gasket for the mark IV big block? Last question, does anyone know where I can get a 66 knee knocker tack? I will pay top dollar.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't think the six quart pan will work because of the frame cross member. I had to use GM 14091488 on my 454 in a '66. I have a 6 quart pan but it is too long to fit that frame.

L

·
0 Posts
The LS-6 pan is not a 6 quart pan. It is a standard 4 quart. The LS-7 pan (originally designed for Corvettes) is a 6 quart, but it will NOT fit in a Chevelle.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Part number 14091356 is a 5 quart pan used on 65 - 74 Corvettes and LS7 engine assemblies. Part number 3969870 is the LS7 oil pump that includes the correct pickup that measures 4.94 inches from the mounting surface to the pickup screen. To use this pan in a frame other than Corvettes requires modification to the front crossmember. This is not a difficult task and when done properly will not weaken the front crossmember. I have modified a 72 Elky front crossmember and a 78 Elky front crossmember to allow me to use this pan.

Part number 14081027 is a 4 qt LS6 pan. Part number 475908 is the LS6 oil pump that includes the correct pickup for use with the LS6 pan. This pickup measures 4.88 inches from the mounting surface to the bottom of the screen. Don't have a separate part number for the pickup tube and screen for this LS6 assembly.

Notwithstanding the above, the GMPP book lists part number 14103141 as a 6 qt pan that was used on the last LS6 engines produced. No mention of a pickup for this pan. Check with your GM parts counter guy. He can help.

Haven't heard of a one piece oil pan gasket for a MKIV engine. From what I heard from another post, if you find a knee knocker tach, you will pay top dollar.

Have A Great Chevelle Day.

MikEC

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could someone please tell me if there is an oil pan out there bigger than a 4-quart that will fit right in? Also where can I find a complete duel 3-inch exhaust to bolt in ???

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I believe you are going to have to go aftermarket. Check JEGS or SUMMIT, Milodon, Moroso and others have large capacity pans. There are several manufactures of complete 3 inch exhaust. Torque Tech, I believe is mentioned most here. I bought from TA because I wanted mine turned down just before the bumper. Edelbrock also make a 3 inch exhaust. For about the same bucks you can probably get a performance muffler shop to make a 3 inch exhaust for you.
Mike Crosby

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.