21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Thank you for the kind words!

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Milodon has a pan with a relief in the "kick-out" section for oil filter removal

Reactions: GuysMonteSS

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Milodon has a pan with a relief in the "kick-out" section for oil filter removal
View attachment 698037
Yes, that one was a consideration initially but there was no integral windage control in that pan and it was a half inch deeper at 8-1/2" which would make it hang below the cross member. Also, adding any kind of windage tray would have meant having special main studs manufactured that were compatible with the Dart Big M Aluminum block. Neither ARP nor A1 Technologies (the original manufacturer of Dart's main studs at that time) offered any options that had a Guide End/Bullet on the block end and at least 1-1/2" thread engagement in the block. Milodon's BBC 81152 studs do not even come close. Moroso's 21047 or 21049 pans would have been my first choice but this is a street car and interference with the steering center link and inner tie rod ends ruled them out. I labored over my choice of the 20403 pan because of windage control but after seeing what Team Member Monk did with his sump shield I fashioned one after his. Mike Lewis seemed to have favorable comments about Monk's. So, the sump shield coupled with the profiled leading edges of all counter weights on the crank will hopefully work.

A big shout out to Monk and here are two photos of his sump shield for a Milodon 31186 pan.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Here's some photos of the sump shield and pump on the engine. It's a 4.6" bore x 4.25" stroke (565) and hopefully the Callies Magnum crank with profiled counter weights will minimize windage. Driver's side kick out was modified to make oil filter removal easier.
It came out good, Dave. Wish I would have went with that crank. Thanks for joining my insanity:)

I experimented some more this year. I can say it didn't have ill effects-
scraper.jpg

·
Registered
11,497 Posts
What is really needed is the passenger side pan rail kick out. Not so much the sump wings. But that limits the amount of pans that can fit with a stock crossmember and steering.

Reactions: David Bates

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Yes, that one was a consideration initially but there was no integral windage control in that pan and it was a half inch deeper at 8-1/2" which would make it hang below the cross member. Also, adding any kind of windage tray would have meant having special main studs manufactured that were compatible with the Dart Big M Aluminum block. Neither ARP nor A1 Technologies (the original manufacturer of Dart's main studs at that time) offered any options that had a Guide End/Bullet on the block end and at least 1-1/2" thread engagement in the block. Milodon's BBC 81152 studs do not even come close. Moroso's 21047 or 21049 pans would have been my first choice but this is a street car and interference with the steering center link and inner tie rod ends ruled them out. I labored over my choice of the 20403 pan because of windage control but after seeing what Team Member Monk did with his sump shield I fashioned one after his. Mike Lewis seemed to have favorable comments about Monk's. So, the sump shield coupled with the profiled leading edges of all counter weights on the crank will hopefully work.

A big shout out to Monk and here are two photos of his sump shield for a Milodon 31186 pan.
From what I've seen it's very difficult to attach any windage screen to the main studs.
Everyone has started attaching studs to the inside of the pan to attach the screen to.
That 30951 Milodon pan gets the oil away from the crank, which is 90% of the battle IMHO.
If you aren't going past 6000 rpm, that pan should work ok. Does anyone sell a weld-in scraper for the passenger side of the pan ?

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I guess I should have included a couple of pictures of the Dart main stud, Milodon's 81152 and a 1969 Corvette L88 engine with GM main studs for the windage tray which will not work with an OEM A-Body pan.

Attachments

21 - 27 of 27 Posts