Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put together my BBC. I have a used oil pan and discovered a small crack near the plug that leaks about a drop every 4 seconds. It seems like someone over tightened the plug and twisted the metal, resulting in a tiny crack.
One friend says to tig it. The other says to JB Weld it. What do you think?

·
wagons rule!
3,249 Posts
if the engin is not alredy in the car get a new pan. if its in the car. you could tig it. i would mig it, cause i have one. but i would not jb weld it. you will end up breaking it again sooner or later. it might weakin due to repetative heat expansion and contraction. put a brass plug in it while your welding it. this will keep splater out of your crank case and the weld will not stick to it. this will also protect your threads. the other thing is you could jb weld or weld the plug in and put another plug a few inches away. i think they make plugs you can add. or drill a new hole and weld a nut to it on the outside. a skilled mig welder could put a beed around the nut that will not leak.

------------------
1970 Chevelle 454 Wagons haul A$$ in style! "The Chopped Suburban". to see some goto
www.EINSTYN.com FO_FDYFO = four-fifty four! TC#1460, VCEA#2

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The motor is in my truck. It would be a real pain to pull it out. I;m looking for a way not too, if I can.

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
A welder may not do it on the car anyway to avoid starting the oil on fire, but if you've no other choice, try the weld with a new hole - sounds like your existing plug hole is shot anyway.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Mike, This might be something that you are going to need to bit the bullet on and bring to someone who knows what they are doing and have done it before. But I would first check it out very carefully. You say a crack that is barely leaking. Are you sure it is crack. Could it be something as simple as a missing gasket on the plug? Also, you mention stripped threads, all auto parts stores sell a variety of oversize plugs and ways of getting around this very common problem of stripped threads. If it comes to welding, the problem is going to be contamination of the oil in the crack and getting a good weld. There are alot of good welders out there, it might just take a little work to find someone to tackle the job. Good Luck

·
Registered
548 Posts
Welding oil pans in the vehicle can be dangerous.I once saw guy blown across a pit the pan had been drained but the fumes were still there,and it opened up like someone used a can opener...FRED

------------------

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Listen to Fred Ont Canada guys. This is nothing to mess with. Do yourself a major favor and get the pan out of the truck and do ir right and safely!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Drain the oil

Tilt the truck so any remaining oil puddles to the other side of the pan

Remove paint from the area around the crack & clean with brake parts cleaner.

Let it sit overnight and check to see if any oil has "weeped" out, if so clean again.

Once OK, treat with tinners compound and solder with a tiny butane torch, as if you were doing a radiator repair.

[This message has been edited by bigdog454 (edited 01-22-2002).]

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would have to agree with fred. It's the smoke that builds up in the pan that explodes. Have you ever relit a candle by putting a match to the smoke. BAMM its magic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.