Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering how i can tell what year a timing chain cover is? this is the stock oil pan that was removed from the car http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj278/monte70car/003-2.jpg here is the oil pan gasket on the same pan http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj278/monte70car/004.jpg ive been told that the gasket is for a 86 and new motor. it is a small chevy motor that is being worked on. during the 1300 miles that was put on the motor it had no oil leaks took it apart and put a gear drive set in and put it back together it started leaking. the following parts have been replace the blance, timing cover seal, a stock replacement oil pan which takes the thick front seal. im not sure if it makes a difference or not but the dip stick is on the drivers side. where the rtv is at on the oil pan and gasket is where the oil is being blown out at.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I do think you have some sort of mismatch.
It's obvious that that gasket does not fit the front of that pan properly, that's your leak.

86 was the year the gen2 small blocks came out, but it wasn't universal or all at once.
You can spot em by the plate that bolts onto the back to hold the 1 piece rear seal, the back of the pan will seal to that instead of to the rear main.

Make sure all the parts are for whichever block you happen to have, you can't mix em up.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Yes, at least in theory, 86 and up will have a pass side dipstick, one piece rear main seal (the main crankshaft seal, not the oil pan gasket!) and cast bosses in the lifter valley for the factory roller lifter retainer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The one piece seal that we just put in speciffically said to use no sealer. Install it dry.
We had to get one of each so we were sure to have the correct one.

Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.