Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
wagons rule!
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have a good way to monitor the oil level from inside the car? like checking to see if your a quart low before you start it every day without having to look under the hood. it would be a much better way then relying on an oil pressure gauge. if the pressure drops its too late and maybe you don't catch it right away. I think 93 and later high end fords had a sensor mounted right into the oil pan. I could drill a hole and mount it in the right place I guess???
somebody must have a solution. and no my car does not consume oil I am just trying to see if I can monitor my 1970 454 daily driver wagon better.

------------------
1970 Chevelle 454 Wagons haul A$$ in style! "The Chopped Suburban". to see some goto
www.EINSTYN.com FO_FDYFO = four-fifty four! TC#1460, VCEA#2

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Don't know if it's worth the trouble, but my 88 Mustang had one also, if that helps broaden your search. I also believe my wife's 93 Bonneville has such a sensor in the brake master cylinder reservoir.

------------------
Mike Newby

69 Chevelle 355/TH200-4R
97 Grand Prix GTP
64 Chevy C10 Pickup
79 Suzuki GS550

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
93 Bonneville also has a low oil level sensor. Guess how I discovered that one

------------------
71 Ragtop
MCC #347, TC (Gold) #174
[email protected]

·
wagons rule!
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
has anyone tried fitting this into a bb Chevy oil pan ? how did you do the wiring, indicator?

------------------
1970 Chevelle 454 Wagons haul A$$ in style! "The Chopped Suburban". to see some goto

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
That would be an interesting project! However, I don't as of yet know how that system functions. I would expect the low level sensor to be a good bit down due to oil pan losses while the engine is running.
It does activate in my car when the level is about 1 qt. down though-well set up.

------------------
71 Ragtop
MCC #347, TC (Gold) #174
[email protected]

·
wagons rule!
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
does the indicator come on when the car is running or just at start up if it is low?

------------------

·
Super Moderator
16,020 Posts
I seem to recall seeing an aftermarket one one time that was inserted in place of the dipstick. You used the original dipstick as a measurement to set it up as to the full and low level settings and then inserted it as the dipstick. How it was wired in I have no idea. A little web search may help find it if it still exists.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I looked into this awhile back when the oil level sensor on my '92 GrandAm was acting flaky.

The sensor they used works by applying a voltage to the sensor. The sensor has a heated wire inside. The surrounding oil cools the sensor. When the oil level drops, the sensor heats up enough to trip the warning light.

The sensor display is non-latching and always functional when the engine is running.

On the GrandAm, the sensor is mounted in the bottom of the pan and sticks up a predetermined height inside, to monitor oil level.

It was something like $45 to replace. Too rich for my blood considering the car, so I defeated it with a trick bridge circuit...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.