Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished putting in my new 427 sb, and I forgot to put RTV on the corners of my pan/timing chain cover. The cross member seems to be in the way off me just dropping the pan, and doing the fix as is. Is there an easier way to fix this problem without pulling the engine out again? Or should I just disconnect everything, drain all new fluids, and pull the engine and put it back on its stand to fix the problem? What do you guys think. I now know to triple check all of my work before getting "driver fever" and rushing myself to get it in.

Kade

·
Gold Founding Member
10,967 Posts
Verify that it isn't a folded lip on the front main seal. THAT could be fixed in-the-car, although it wouldn't be fun. If it's not the seal around the damper:

Drain "new" fluids into CLEAN containers so they can be re-used.

Pull engine, fix leak.

Run engine on the engine stand to verify no leaks.

Re-install.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pulled engine, leaking from timing chain cover. Cleaned surface and replaced gaskets and applied RTV, allowed it to get a skin then re attached everything. I am gonna let it sit for 24 hours before attempting to start it. Thanks for the replies guys, It is a very hard lesson learned.

Thanks again
Kade

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.