Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any suggestions in order to solve an oil leak from the Valve covers of my SB 400? I have tried two new sets of gaskets and three sets of covers and they still leak... I ordered a set of those Comp Polymers, will they help? Anyone with ANY help, please let me know. This is starting to become a really annoying problem.

------------------
Julie
'71 Chevelle
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Boulevard/7827

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Raven,
What type of gaskets have you tried? I have always had the best luck with the cork ones. I dont mean this to sound the wrong way, but make sure the surface of the head is clean. Sometimes the old gasket will stick on it and you can't see it easily. One final thing that I am sure you know about, make sure you just snug them on. It doesn't take a lot of torque. As far as the Comp Polymers, I havent ever used them, but it couldnt hurt to try. I hope this helps you out. By the way, great web page!!

----Jerry----

·
Registered
151 Posts
Felpro gaskets, K-W Copper Coat, if your covers are the metal type, make sure the bolt holes in the covers are smooth. Tap them flat with a small hammer. Put copper coat on the valve cover and one side of the cork gasket, let them set for about 5 min. Put the 2 copper coat sides together, make sure the holes are line up, put copper coat on the head side of the gasket and put them right on the head now. Don't over tighten the bolts, you will bend the metal covers. I have NEVER had a leak doing it this way. "DON'T EVER USE ANY KIND OF SILACONE(SP)".

------------------
ACES #2637
TEAM CHEVELLE #69

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.