Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with my daily driver '72 C10 (sorry for non-chevelle post--my 67 Chevelle is in frame-off right now).

The truck has a 350 that's a just little over a year old, 2bl carb, headers, 350 trans. My problem is that I'm getting oil in my air cleaner. It's coming up through the PCV hose. Over the course of a week, I collect about 1/8" of oil in the bottom of my air cleaner. The PCV system seems to be operating properly. Can any one explain what's cause the oil to enter the air cleaner?

-- Tim Mattson

·
Registered
336 Posts
You probably just need to replace the pcv valve itself.. its very common for that to happen when they go bad..

------------------

Mike Reeh
Gold #34
San Diego, CA

·
Administrator
16,196 Posts
To elaborate on Mikes post, when the PCV valve isn't working the suction from the engine can draw oil back into the in the air filter. Normally the manifold vacuum at the PCV through the crank case pulls filtered air in the line from the air cleaner. So try a new PCV valve and make sure you have good vacuum to it. Use a PCV type hose to insure it is not being drawn flat by the vacuum.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Gold Member #42
"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another."
[email protected]

·
Registered
777 Posts
Tim,
When replacing the PCV valve, look and see if you have valve covers with the oil baffles in them. I have tried it both ways and find that the baffled ones really do help cut down on the amount of oil that goes into the PCV. Remember that the PCV only operates when the motor has decent vacuum, so if you floor it alot (like I do...) the vacuum goes to low or zero and the pressure builds up and can force oil through the breather or PCV. Also, make sure you have adequate ventilation or breather on the other valve cover.

------------------
Bill C.
'71 SS (now with 468BBC)
ACES #2780
Colo Spgs, CO

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't want to break your heart (Valentines Day)LOL. If your pcv valve is bad and allows oil to come into the air cleaner, this would mean the valve is sticking open which will also give you idling and running problems. In the old days when you had oil in the air cleaner it was caused normaly by blow-by of the rings. To check your rings do a wet and dry compression check. Good Luck...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.