Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Team,

The sending unit on my 396 only has one port for the idiot light. I also want to have a oil pressure gauge mounted, just in case. :(

Anyways, I have heard there is a connecter that you can mount where the sending unit goes so you can have both the gauge and the idiot light.
Where can I find this?

thanks,
wes

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
I'm not aware of single device that will operate both a light and a gauge. The block has standard pipe thread. You can buy the fittings you need to connect both the factory oil pressure switch (light) and either a sender for an electric gauge or tubing for a mechanical gauge. 1/8" pipe fittings can be found at most auto parts stores or home depot.

·
Premium Member
19,928 Posts
You'll need 'T' with at least two of the three ends 1/8" NPT female threads and the third end a 1/8" NPT male end. Barring finding that, get a 1/8" NPT female 'T' (all three ends) and a 1/8" NPT male pipe nipple (get various lengths). The male goes into the block on one end and the 'T' on the other end.

A second option to allow you to run both is look at the driver's side front of the engine just above the oil pan between the 1st and 2nd oil pan bolts. There should be a 1/4" NPT hex head plug. IF, and I mean IF you can get this plug out, you can use a 1/4" to 1/8" NPT bushing adapter to run your new oil line or electrical gauge. I have my 396 set up this way for an electrical gauge and a mechanical gauge. I had the plug in mine removed when I had the block cleaned the last rebuild...they aren't the easiest to get out after years of the heating/cooling cycle.

The original plug looks like the one on the front of the block here. The brass plug is something I used to temporarily plug the hole when I had an electrical gauge sender go bad and had to ship it back to Dakota Digital for replacement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts