Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, does anyone know if a 400 sb uses the same oil filter as a 350? Its oil change time and the parts counter guys want to sell me one for a big block. TIA,
kevin d

·
Registered
104 Posts
fram part# ph13 long ph30 shot or is the other way around cant remember have that stuff done now to hard to get rid of the drain oil any more city of l.a. kinda frowns on using it for a weed killer any more. but allchevys since 68 have the same mounting base......

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Kevin,
ALL Chev V8s use the same filter since 68 (67 and older had the filter in a can, what a mess to change. Although you can buy an adapter to use spin filters on 67-older).
There are 3 different size filters that fit Chev engines. A short one, a long one and then a really long 2qt filter which is used on big trucks and that's the one I always use. It hangs down even with the bottom of the pan. As far as I know, all the filter manufacturers make all 3 sizes. I personally use a Wix brand because they are white, like the early AC oil filters, and I try to install the filter so that the Wix doesn't show.
The parts guy who tried to sell you that filter is typical of a lot (not all) of the parts people. The parts stores that I use, I ALWAYS go to the older guys who have been in the parts business for a long time. For example, very few parts guys don't understand that in 55 the filter was an OPTION and it was located on top of the intake manifold (no filter boss was cast on 55 only blocks).

------------------

[This message has been edited by DZAUTO (edited 03-27-99).]

·
Registered
150 Posts
AC PF35 - long one
AC PF25 - short one

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
And do you remember the number for the 2qt truck filter?

------------------

·
Registered
548 Posts
The Wix # for the long truck filter is 51773.I like to use that filter on my pickup but it wont fit my Chevelle to close to the headers.I will use it when I change to a remote filter. I like lots of oil 7qt pan and cooler and a big filter.HOHOHO as Tim the ToolMan says...FRED

·
Registered
337 Posts
The PF35 "6438384" Is no longer being made.
It supercedes to the one with the check valve part# 25160561

·
Registered
49 Posts
and don't forget the new synthetic PF-35L,#25013454. replaces any chev V-8 filters from '68 on up. this filter is rated at 12 microns, so let GM do the R&D. they claim can reduce engine wear by 75% compared to conventional filters without restricting the flow of oil.

Dave MacGregor
Aces 1818
70 Malibu BB

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys, thanks for the the response.
Kevin d

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.