Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while I am redoing the ElCamino. I rhought why not replace ther steel canster with a newer type spin on fliter. so I ordered por/flo adaptor from Summet = LEAKED at the adaptor to block ok bought a TD at AA auto. YEAH the bolts are 1/4in not 5/16 like the block.
What are my alternatives ? Go back to the old canaster ?
Wayne Kline
ACES TC

------------------

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Don't give up. I got tired of the canister drill and bought an adapter for my 327 in a place in North Little Rock, Arkansas 25 yr ago.It's worked fine ever since. Where was the first one leaking? Find the place where the oil can sneak by the gasket/seal. If its the right size and there aren't any cracks, nicks, gouges, cuts, tears,holes, etc. and there is unbroken contact along the sealing surface, it can't leak.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Perhaps you could try a local engine rebuilder. They probably have a bunch laying around.

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 El Camino, daily driver
67 El Camino, STRIP/street

It is only by striving for perfection that we can achive mediocrity.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The adapter for the earlier cannister engines is still susceptable to the same leaks associated with the cannister if not installed correctly, and leakage is easy to get with these adapters.

Mostly, it is the large O-ring that seals the adapter to the block that gets tweaked or twisted during assembly, and you cannot see the problem, just have to experience it on fire-up.

I used to very carefully install these early changeover kits, and used lots of grease so the O-ring would go in easily and without twisting or problems. If you have a leaker, try again to install it, and just take the time to watch the thing for any problems on the way in. They can be frustration until it goes in correctly, then, no more problems. Pain in the rear to install with headers, though.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I screwed up the first time I put one it. The rubber gasket that fit between the adapter and the block is wider one way than the other. If you don't put the wide side against the bottom of the block it leaks. Trouble is it does not like to fit this way. It does not go in. Check to see which way it is installed. Trick is to first loosely install the adapter in place. Soak the rubber gasket in oil. Then carefully work it all around the adapter before you push in against the block.
Last one I put in was a Fram for $10.00 and no leaks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.