Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Modern rings and a PROPER cylinder finish will seat the rings in only a few 100 miles if the engine is run with medium and varying loads and a good break-in oil. If the rings are old school hard chrome plated and the cylinder final hone was too smooth, I agree with post #2. Doing what ddeennis recommended wouldn't hurt a good motor anyway.

·
Registered
11,789 Posts
Modern rings and a PROPER cylinder finish will seat the rings in only a few 100 miles if the engine is run with medium and varying loads and a good break-in oil. If the rings are old school hard chrome plated and the cylinder final hone was too smooth, I agree with post #2. Doing what ddeennis recommended wouldn't hurt a good motor anyway.
Ring seat with what you described should occur basically the first time you drive the car. Few 100 miles is not needed anymore. We start them up on the dyno and apply a slight load to them. By the time they reach operating temperature, its full on runs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check your valve guide seals. I had 15 that came apart. They can be checked and replaced without pulling the motor. Take it back to the builder and he can do it.

·
Registered
Ryan
303 Posts
Please describe your PCV system. Are you running baffled valve covers?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have 1 valve cover with a baffle and the other has the pcv valve. I am not familiar with this pcv valve. How do I know if it needs to be replaced? What do I look for?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts