Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After visiting several machine shops, salvage yards and parts houses, I now know what kind of setup my 396 had. It codes out to a '68 396, but, all the GM parts counters I visited show some early '68 396 motors had canister type filters. This is the block I have. I have the spin on adapter that came off the motor from the conversion. I have found the same one is available from TD and Mr. Gasket. They require that the OEM canister adapter be in place to function properly. The GM parts counters all say the item is no longer available. So, I have a cherry red, '68 Chevelle quietly sitting in my driveway, all dressed up and nowhere to go until I locate one. Anyone know of a source? I still have a "rough" view of what I need in the photo on the left at www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Port/1856

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I just replaced one on my 66. Got it from Year One.Part #PE1110 $40.00 Comes with gasket.If you need the 2 bolts it is part #PE1111 $5.00 a pr.
Their # is 1-800-950-9503

Rene
66- Malibu

[This message has been edited by shooter (edited 07-05-99).]

·
Registered
151 Posts
I believe WIX makes one, and it's much cheaper than $40. If you have a large engine rebuilder in your town, they will probably sell you one cheap. If you can't find one, email me and I'll find you one here in No. CA. [email protected]

------------------
ACES #2637
TEAM CHEVELLE #69

·
Registered
12,972 Posts
mshort,
SB engines, 56-67 and 68-later, had the same oil filter adapter/check valve. There were thousands or millions of 56-67SBs out there and the early adapter that you need should be fairly easy to find (I know, I know, they're everywhere until you need one). When you convert an early engine to a spin-on, the spin on adapter replaces the metal canister which seated against a gasket that goes in the groove between the block and the adapter when the old canister was in use. DON'T FORGET TO INSTALL THIS GASKET! You will only need this gasket one time. After that, the spin-on seals against the adaptor.

------------------

W

·
0 Posts
Put the can back on, make it look original. If you need a can, I have two. If you need the adapter, I think I can scare one of those up as well.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 malibu

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.