Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I have been reading a lot of the posts on this site and have learned a lot However now I have a question for you guys, I just reinstalled my bb after doing a cam change and some minor head work. ( seals springs retainers & keepers ) while the motor was out I went back to a Moroso stock pan from the t-sump that was in there the only other thing I did was plug the bypass on the oil filter adapter now i have a leak out the back somewhere. It only leaks when the motor is cold ( 10w-40 in now ) it seems once it warms up and the oil thins out it goes away. Could the bypass being pluged be causing this? nothing was done to the bottom end this time and it did not leak 3 weeks ago before it came out.

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
is it possibly a bad filter gasket? I had one that had been sliced by a box knife while be stocked onto the shelf. blocking the bypass won't cause a leak.
could it be something related to the pan gasket?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think it is the pan gasket I did check the bolts and none were loose and the pan is dry so is the oil filter the problem is it only seems to do it when the oil is cold. I have checked the top of the motor and all seems dry. The only signs of oil underneath is a drip on the bottom of the starter :( and the bottom of the bellhousing where I can see it driping from while it is running. I quess I will have to put it up on stands and jump under it while it is running cold and try to find were it is coming from. I was hoping that the psi between the oil pump and the filter was extra high when cold causing it to blow out the rear main or something like that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.