Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was eating dinner in a restaurant in Winnipeg when a reasonably good looking 1963 Impala stopped at a light (might have been a Bondo buggy though). When the light turned green, a cloud of oil smoke poured out the tailpipe, leaving a cloud reminiscent of a London smog. What really bothered me was the reaction of some people at the next table - loud remarks about how old cars were gross polluters and there should be a law against keeping old cars. No remarks had been made about several other older cars that had driven by in good condition; the ONE bad apple tainted the whole bunch. I know you and I keep our cars in good shape - but be aware that indifference to poor mechanical condition could lead to destructive restrictions on our hobby. My $0.02 on the subject - maybe someone else could comment ?

Steve

·
Registered
934 Posts
<insert RANT here>

Boy that really burns my ass! One old car smokes and all hell breaks loose.

Yeh, I suppose "we" should all be brainwashed into buying the new plastic crap that's being sold. Then we'd fit right in with those "Stepford wife" type auto buyers (that's what I think they are anyway). Now, notice I said "auto buyer" instead of car buyer. That's because there hasn't been a real car made since the 70's.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I have seen more Dodge, Chrysler, and Plymouth products that pour out blue smoke than all the old cars I've ever seen, ALOT more. Im talking about vehicles that are just a few years old. I think there should be a law against that! (now remember that 1 old car that smokes?) Evertime I see one of those horrible mini-vans with the cloud of blue smoke behind it I just laugh and think...SUCKER!

I better go chill for a while.

Peace*

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

silverstone.fortunecity.com/tvr/246/bob_s_409_chevy_page_index.html

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
This is a perfect example of how when a lie is told often enough (Politicians calling for clunker laws), Mr (and Mrs.) average citizen will blindly go along and believe it instead of putting in the effort to think it through. Advertisers, the gun control lobby, legislators banning freon and others know this and constantly use it to their advantage. I too have noticed that many more 3 and 4 year old cars are smoking from excess oil consumption than ever before. We had it with our own '94 Camry at about 35,00 miles. Luckily, it was under warrantee and the dealership rebuilt the head at no charge to us. Haven't had a problem since, but this sure seems to be a common condition with a lot of late model cars. Of course I hear no one discussing it because it hasn't made headlines.
I'm off my soapbox.
Rich

·
Registered
339 Posts
Maybe one out of a million cars is a classic and is a polluter to some extent. On the other hand, every big semi truck is, with dioxin emission to boot. What about all the lawnmowers, especially the Lawn Boys. Jet Skis? Pouring oil into the water to boot. I don't think the classic cars are killing us these days. You should stand out by the induced draft fans at a coal fired power plant, even a slight leak and you gag on the sulfur fumes. Oh, well. tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.