Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have been around these boards for a while this should give you a chuckle.

Several years ago, I had a slight breakdown on my return trip from Chevell~abration. CB02 I believe it was. After about 2500 miles of driving I broke several aluminum roller rockers.

Blaming it on a defect I chalked it up to an experience on cheap parts…you get what you pay for.

Upon my return home , I wrote up a nice story on my trip with embedded photos and all. Each paragraph separated by the line “Proform Rollers Stink”

Proform did make good on the rollers, even though I would never trust their parts again. The thread got some amusing reviews and flirted the line of vendor bashing. Al and crew let it run quite some time before rightfully yanking it.

When the incident was fresh, many folks told me to check my clearances. Make sure I wasn’t hitting anything. I did so as instructed and could find no other reasonable explanation for the failure.

I replaced the Proforms with big beefy USA made roller rockers.

Fast forward about 3 years and over 30 thousand miles and my car just wasn’t running right. After a timing issue resolved at Team Chevelle of course, my troubles continued into the Performance Forum.

As my engine tuning problems continue a discovery was found. My ‘new’ rockers were binding. I had found an interference. Probably there all along, probably the reason for the Proform Debacle of 2002.:clonk:

Everyone had said, make sure you have clearance around the retainer…I did. What went unchecked was the often overlooked pushrod side of the rocker. On that side the body of the rocker under the fulcrum was rubbing on the stepped Moroso Guide plates. Evident by grooves in my current rockers, this bind probably caused the failure in the Proforms and was damaging my new rockers. In time this damage would have been severe enough to break them just as the Proforms did.

I guess this is why they offer both ‘stepped’ and ‘flat’ style guide plates. As a fix I’ll try to see if smaller bodied steel roller tipped rockers will work. If not I’ll have to change guide plates.

Unbelievably enough I’ve been driving and dragging for the last 3 years with this binding. Hopefully now I’ll finally get these lifters adjusted right.

My apologies to Proform and I’m eating my hat.:eek:

· Premium Member
1,920 Posts
What a guy to come back and admit in public that he messed up. Good for you Rob! Most guy's would have walked away... May I suggest the salsa for the hat, my favorite. :D

· Registered
575 Posts
Well done. Call Proform and tell them about it. They will appreciate the call. You are a gentleman.

· Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BB_Mike said:
That's an easy gain of .25 seconds in the quarter mile. :D
I'm actually hoping for an improvement. I've had lifter noises since building this engine. We had thought that it was the normaly clicking of the variable duration lifters. Now I'm thinking that with this bind the lifters (at least some) were never adjusted properly. It is amazing that the cam broke in fine regardless.

· Registered
936 Posts
Chalk her up to experience.

I'll tell ya, nothing feels better than solving a problem that has plagued you for years. That moment of realization, when the light clicks on, that instant where you kind of freeze in place and your eyes widen just a little bit and even if you are all by your self in the room/garage you say out loud: "Heyyyyyyy...."

Been there, done that, got the one-size-too-small-tshirt. But that's a helluva feeling.:D

· Registered
4,588 Posts
Glad you found the problem before it ate something else!! Rob, you're a class act. A lettle Catsup will help with the hat :D

· Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Dan72 said:
Chalk her up to experience.

I'll tell ya, nothing feels better than solving a problem that has plagued you for years. That moment of realization, when the light clicks on, that instant where you kind of freeze in place and your eyes widen just a little bit and even if you are all by your self in the room/garage you say out loud: "Heyyyyyyy...."

Been there, done that, got the one-size-too-small-tshirt. But that's a helluva feeling.:D

it's called DIVORCE!
rachie :waving:

· Premium Member
2,248 Posts
Thanks for the re-post! FYI, I have run those blue Proform rockers on mild engine build-ups and have had zero problems. I believe they are ok for "Mild" build ups. In serious engine build-ups I ALWAYS step up and install Comp Cams Magnum stainless rockers. Just my .02!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.