Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
hahahaha!!!!!

·
Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
2,043 Posts
I saw this on one of the wrenching shows, not sure who would buy it? Maybe someone with a new tank and had thoughts of going back stock at some point?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I saw this on one of the wrenching shows, not sure who would buy it? Maybe someone with a new tank and had thoughts of going back stock at some point?
I am sure they will change their mind once they read the reviews of and the problems people have with the FCC.

I almost bought the FCC then I read up on it here and decided to just ditch my almost new tank. I am glad I did.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I was watching power nation tv sunday. They put a fitech on a Nova with the fitech fuel module. They said they ran the vent to "atmosphere ". Didn't say it was back to the tank as fitech wants. Thought that was a different way of doing it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Probably not a good idea because at best you leak fuel on the ground. At worst you set you car on fire.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Interesting combo. I suppose they are just trying to bundle what they think is the best priced combo. You would not think either company would appreciate them doing that since they are direct competitors.

It does make you wonder when Holley will come up with a FCC. And will theirs work?

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
I'll throw it out there that I may be buying something of the sort for my '76 C20 with dual tanks. There really isn't a decent option for in-tank pumps for these trucks, not to mention the challenges of switching between tanks, and I really do need to retain both 20 gallon tanks if at all possible. These trucks have a switching valve on the frame that handles the feed and return to the tanks, for those who don't know. Unless somebody knows another option this may be the most cost-effective/ practical way to keep a reasonable amount of range.

The command center seems like a hokey Band-Aid to me so hopefully one of you has a better idea.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The thing I just don't get about the FiTech's command center and Edelbrock's is why the float concept? I just don't see what that does for you? So far I have not found anyone that can explain what the advantage is there.

Back about 10 years ago when I got into DIY EFI there was nothing you could buy like that and there was no one making EFI tanks for anything that didn't come with one from the factory so you had to use external pumps or make your own. I never saw a DIY one with a float or heard anyone wish they could build one with a float. Same thing with the internal regulator, I don't see what the advantage is supposed to be.

The Edel and FiTech both have a float so they are like the bowl in a carb. The low pressure pump inlet is controlled by the float. Level is low float drops, fual can get in. Float gets to the proper level fuel inlet gets shut off. Mechanical fuel pump doesn't care but now you have the flow stalled in your lines and risk vapor lock unless you have the 'AC' 3 port pump with the return line in which case some fuel goes back to the tank to keep the flow moving and reduce the chances of that being an issue. Back in the surge tank we now have it what 3/4 full of fuel? And the electric pump is running delivering fuel to the internal regulator where any excess is just dumped back into the surge tank, a pretty short trip so no chance for any cooling. The high pressure outlet is connected to the injectors and no return back from there so any air or heat is just stuck having to go through the injectors. This leaves you with just the 'vapor vent' port that should just be connected to that air space at the top of the unit. Seems alright in concept, its kinda a carb with an electric pump in it. What happens if the float sticks? What happens if G forces make the float not work correctly? What happens if the fuel gets hot enough to boil which is very possible due to the location and lack of circulation?

The DIY and RobbMc design is simply the electric pump connected to the high pressure outlet then the rest of the ports open to the surge tank. Fuel comes into one. Return from the fuel rail comes into another. The 4th port is the one you connect back to the tank and any extra fuel or air or what ever goes back to the tank. Flow is continuous so it tends to keep temps down because you have a chance to cool in the lines or in the tank. Real simple and seems to work fine so I don't get why Edel and FiTech think you need the float and the 'vapor' return. Just seems to increase chances of having issues.

IF the idea was that you could truly run with only one line to the tank then maybe I could see the appeal but both of them say you must run a 'vapor return' line back to the tank. The DIY people and RobMc don't bother with the float and 'vapor' return idea, they just call it a return and its simply a port in the surge tank that connects back to the fuel tank so any excess anything in the surge tank goes back to the tank. It doesn't matter if its extra fuel or air, it all goes back to the main fuel tank. This does 2 things, kicks any air back to the tank where it can more easily separate from the fuel and then be dealt with by the OE vapor system or simply vented out the cap. Second thing it does is keeps the fuel flowing so its not sitting in the tiny surge tank with the pump heat and under hood heat.

Second odd thing is Edel and FiTech put a regulator in the surge tank. Another thing I don't get. I suppose the idea is you don't have to run a return from you fuel rail or include a regulator on the rail? From what I have seen they include a regulator and return port on the rail so what are you gaining here other than the possibility of getting air in that section of the system and redundant parts?

Factory EFI systems from the 80's to 2000's had the in tank pump then a fuel rail mounted regulator and a return from there back to the tank. Seemed to work very well. In the mid 2000's some manufacturers started ditching the return line in favor of the regulator as part of the pump assembly in the tank and variable speed pumps. In the OE world this make work alright because they know and have control of every aspect of the system. I also suspect they have some means to monitor fuel pressure to then decide how to drive the fuel pump. The FiTech fuel pump drive is just a guess based on a few other parameters which 'should' be an indicator of required fuel volume. I have no idea if all the current OE stuff is returnless or not. I would guess there are still some that are like the 90's with a return.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts