Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tearing the front clip off for all restoration of engine compartment (cab back is done) and I stumble across this mess.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Bicycle tire

Why would one side rot out like that and nowhere else on the frame?
Gonna remove engine and tranny and keep going. This 90 Silverado is gonna be my work truck/driver while I rebuild the engine in my 96 Silverado.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW
I wonder what my 90 GMC looks like
From what I gather, it's a known problem just on the driver side. To bad the 'known' oil cooler leak didn't happen in that area.
So, I'm going to take the steering box off and see how far until I hit good metal to see if I can weld a channel patch. I'm more worried about the steering gear mount than the bumper and core support mounts which can be purchased aftermarket.
The 96 looks great, not even surface rust.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
I wouldn't spend a dime on that frame...It's too far gone.😱 Time to start to get a good used replacement frame and transfer all the truck's components on it.
Good luck,
Claude. (y)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't spend a dime on that frame...It's too far gone.😱 Time to start to get a good used replacement frame and transfer all the truck's components on it.
Good luck,
Claude. (y)
I may not. But with all the work I've put into the truck I've got to give it a try.
I'll know what I'm gonna do when I pull the power train.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
You must be in Michigan. 😀

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Why would one side rot out like that and nowhere else on the frame?
I have noticed the side with the battery tends to rot out quicker from the battery corrosion.

·
Premium Member
17,784 Posts
my kid has repaired more than one cracked Chevy frame at the steering box. I;m not the pro, but that looks rather FUBAR to me. Need a chunck of another frame.

Makes the 64 Elky frame he is about to repair look near mint! It also requires two chuncks from another.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my kid has repaired more than one cracked Chevy frame at the steering box. I;m not the pro, but that looks rather FUBAR to me. Need a chunck of another frame.

Makes the 64 Elky frame he is about to repair look near mint! It also requires two chuncks from another.
If I get into it and I find good metal to weld to, great. If not it's ok, I'll just put the tranny (700r4-K case newly rebuilt with 0 miles) in the Monte Carlo (1970).
I've rebuilt the rear end on this truck with new Richmond 3:73's and stuffed a new crate engine in that has 28k on it, stripped and coated the frame, underbody, and fuel tank, new shocks, new leaf spring mounts, fuel pump and lines, etc....
Oh well. We'll see.....

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good luck,
Claude. (y)
Oh trust me, I'm not spending a dime on anything at the moment. Right now I'm doing everything that won't cost a penny.
I had purchased and new pass. door that is installed, two new fenders, rockers, cab corners, rear outer wheel wells, and wheel arch patches. Everything is on hold until I pull the power train and inspect this issue.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those photos make me so glad I left the rust belt many years ago. Good luck with your project.
Yep, Ohio.
I think the car that crushed me the most was a 2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue that I had "rust proofed" that prematurely rusted. It was the first brand new car we ever had. My wife loved driving it. If I ever have a new car again, I will rust proof it myself.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Rust proof that’s funny rust resistant maybe but proof never going to happen, rust will be the end of all these vehicles every last one of them. It’s just a matter of time.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rust proof that’s funny rust resistant maybe but proof never going to happen, rust will be the end of all these vehicles every last one of them. It’s just a matter of time.
I don't know, eliminate oxygen and water and iron can't oxidize. It will at the very least outlive the human lifespan.
You should see the underbody of my Monte Carlo. I'd like to see a properly prepped frame with epoxy 150 years from now.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The ‘88-‘00 trucks are still going into the pick a parts down here, although not in the numbers once seen. Most are perfect underneath.
Dave S. Southern New Mexico

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
They all do that in the beautiful Ohio Michigan Western NY Salt pits (AKA armpit of the US)
You can fix that. I've seen em worse and resurrected

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
You can probably "fix" it but the rest of the frame isn't far behind.

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
They have rust converter products now that work very well .
Do your welding and then choose a high quality rust converter .
There is one in particular that is a one step process. It converts and then paints it black in one shot . Stuff is rock hard. Pound on it with a hammer and it doesn't come off

1 - 20 of 22 Posts