Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1966 Chevelle Baltimore built. What is the correct Finish(Color) of the underside of floors and interior floor/sides?
Was this a red oxide with overspray inside and out? Black with overspray??
Where, if any, was sound Deadener (Undercoating)sprayed on the underside? Ex, rear wheel wells/trunk drops/ tunnel ETC.????

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
underside was blacked out. I am sure undercoating was done at dealers. but the factory might have done the rear wheel house

·
Registered
364 Posts
Interior is red oxide (really more brown than red) with outside color over spray at the door jambs. The underside is a dark gray almost black with body color over spray along the edges. Undercoating was dealer installed.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, Chevy in 66 did not spray any sound deadener in the rear wheelwells or anywhere else on the assm. line?
Unlike other GM makes in 66 off the assm. line you had sound deadener sprayed in the rear wheel houses, trunk drops, some along the driveshaft tunnel.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interior is red oxide (really more brown than red) with outside color over spray at the door jambs. The underside is a dark gray almost black with body color over spray along the edges. Undercoating was dealer installed.
Does this apply to Baltimore or in general all plants ?

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
BAL built '67 Sedan w/44K original Southern miles...
I have no idea what the chalk numbering means.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Interior is red oxide (really more brown than red) with outside color over spray at the door jambs. The underside is a dark gray almost black with body color over spray along the edges.
^^^^ Yes :yes:

Attached are typical of assembly line undercoat. These happen to be from a Fremont '67 but I've seen similar on other plants as well. Note the almost black with body color over spray, and then undercoat overspray on the floor pan from shooting the wheel well. The other pic is the trunk drop off with undercoat extending up onto the outer trunk floor.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
I took this pic of my Atlanta '66 while lying on my back with the car on a four post lift.

Note the partial undercoat spray patterns. I have seen nearly identical undercoat patterns on another Atlanta '66 and also a Kansas '66.

I wouldn't necessarily try to duplicate all of this on a restored car, but I would definitely undercoat the rear wheel wells. The drop offs is a personal choice.

I hope this helps answer your questions!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Who is making a good accurate Red Oxide Epoxy?
I know PPG had a good one but it seems it is no longer available??

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Who is making a good accurate Red Oxide Epoxy?
I know PPG had a good one but it seems it is no longer available??
I used PPG DP74LF (Red Oxide) with DP401LF catalyst in August 2015 on my '68 El Camino SS. Looked great to me. (Can't say the same about the pix of me.)

Greg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
I'm late to the party here, but a few points:

On every car, the rear wheel wells were heavily undercoated either by fisher body or by the assembly plant. Same for the rear drop-downs. This was done AFTER all body painting, because on an original car you will typically see some gaps in the wheel well undercoating where body color paint is clearly visible behind the undercoat.

On any 4-speed car, the same heavy undercoating was applied around the shifter hole on the driver's half of the trans tunnel. (I don't know whether or not that was also done on a column shift car, or on a floor-shifted automatic.)

The back halves of the bottom side of the front inner fenders should have heavy undercoating. See the AIM which will show where to spray that.

As to any other undercoating found under an original car, I am unsure about whether that was factory or dealer installed. I have many cars with the undercoating (which generally matches what Bill W's pics above show), but I also have an ultra-low mile Baltimore car that has absolutely no undercoating on the floor pans (other than around the shifter hole as mentioned above). So does that mean the factory did not install any floor pan undercoating on any cars and that was all done by dealers, or was that just a Baltimore thing? Or was it a factory thing but something that could be "deleted" by special order? (This car was bought specifically to go drag racing, so I would not be surprised if they would have specified no extra undercoating, if something like that was possible.)

Either way, to the extent there is floor pan undercoating, it is applied after the body color overspray.

As to the interior floor pan overspray, Wild Bill's pics above are great! Just bear in mind that with a 4-door sedan there was more metal inside to spray (and some of it close to the floor) than with a coupe. So the level of overspray would not be quite as heavy around the B-pillar area as the 4-door sedan shows.

Good luck!

·
Registered
364 Posts
The order sheet for my Butternut L78 specifies no undercoating and none was found on the car. The original owner told me he didn't want any extra weight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts