Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
70 tach dash and I'm also running an aftermarket temp guage that's plumbed to my intake manifold. The factory temp sender won't fit in my Dart heads that have a smaller 3/8 pipe,I believe.

Is ther another sender I can use that is the next size thread size down from the OE sender?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Just thinking out loud. Would the water temperature be different if you used a reducing nipple?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John I don't think the sensor would fit inside the reducer. The only option I have is to find a different sensor or move it to the manifold which I don't want to do :(

Looks like Dart drilled those heads for the aftermarket guages that come standard 3/8 I believe.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Don't see why not as far as mechanically tying things together. A 3/8 male into the head and 1/2 NPT female to screw the sender into. Sender may try to bottom out but I don't think it will. The only question I had was would there be a noticeable difference in temperature reading? I wouldn't think so. I'd try to get a brass fitting.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket intake that has a port for the temp sensor? That's where I have my guage hooked to, but it's an aftermarket guage.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Not sure how significant the change would be but temp senders are designed to be in the cooling water flow path. Using a reducer would move the thermocouple out of the water jacket.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I decided to just run my aftermarket in the intake and skip the head for now. I guess I could reverse it and run both guages if I modify my harness a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts