Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My odometer has stopped working on my '69. I have no idea how these are connected. Where should I start looking. I don't know if it's the odometer itself or just the cable. Where does the cable connect? I've probably put 50 miles on it since it stopped and I would like to get this corredted as soon as possible.

Thanks,

------------------
JR TC #1098
My 69 Convertible

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Your odometer stopped working, so what's the problem? Seriously, if your speedometer doesn't work then most likely the cable is the problem. It connects at the back of your speedo with a spring clip, depress the clip and the cable will pull right off the gauge. The other end is screw in connection on the side of the transmission, at least on a 4 speed car. Replacing the cable isn't a big deal, routing the new cable is the biggest pain. I ordered mine from the local GM dealer. If the speedometer still works than its internal to the gauge and that's out of my league. Good Luck.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the speedo still works. I had some work recently done on the trans, is it the same cable for both the speedo and odometer? So, if one works and the other doesn't, there is no way it can be the cable or connecdtion? Is this right?

Thanks,

------------------
JR TC #1098
My 69 Convertible

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Yes, it is the same cable. Sounds like a problem within the gauge.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Yes, it is the same cable. Sounds like a problem within the gauge.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If the speedo is working and the odometer isn't then the problem is definitely in the guage. The mechanism is pretty straight forward. A worm gear drives the tenths digit. Each digit kicks the next one after one revolution. I believe that the worm gear is metal but the tenths is plastic. It may be worn or broken. Taking the guage apart is far simpler than getting at it. The dash has to be removed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.