Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fresh motor I put in and would like to roll the numbers back to zero. The odometer isn't working as it is and half for the speedometer has a light out. Do you think it would make more sence to buy a new one? Anyone do this by themselfs?
thanks
steve

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I've taken them apart when I replaced them. Wanted to set miles on the replacement unit the same as the old one. The speedometer needle has to be removed carefully to get the unit apart. Basically the odometer has to come apart to reset the tumblers. It just takes time and patience to do.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
As far as I know new ones aren't available, so you will have to reset yours or send it out. I wouldn't worry about the light being out, really has nothing to do with the speedo, should be able to replace the bulb. John is right about getting the needle off. This can be very difficult without damaging the needle. I have found that gently forcing the needle past zero then rotate around past 120 against the stops, a couple of times until you feel the needle loosen helps. Then you should be able to pull it off. Many of the ones I have gone into have a plastic piece that holds the tumblers in line is broken. It depends on what year you are talking about.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
The drill thing will work. However assuming the drill ran the speedo up to 50 MPH it would take eight days to rack up 10000 miles on the odometer. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,909 Posts
Let's see.....mine shows 17,000 now. To get it back to zero is 83,000 miles. Divide by 10,000 is 8.3. 8.3 times 8 days is 66.4 days! I don't think my drill (or my finger) will last that long! :D

Can you spin it backwards? That would only be 13.6 days. ;)

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Originally posted by djw69elky:
I always heard stories of hooking the end of the cable to an electric drill and spinning it forward. Is this an urban legend?
The plastic gears get hot and melt. Don't ask me how I know. :eek: :D

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I did it on my '64 for the same reason - new engine and mechanicals.

Wasn't very difficult, but as mentioned you need to be careful. Two bewares:

1) The tumbler shaft is held in place (at least on '64) by prongs that are crimped/bent over the shaft. They are brittle! Only open them up enough to get the shaft out.
2) On mine, the numbers (painted on) had turned to DUST over 40 years. Looked just fine through the glass, but during the removal I rubbed the tumbler set with my finger, and ALL the numbers wiped off!
Had to find another speedo assy!

·
Premium Member
16,709 Posts
I had to set the odometer in my 70 when I put the LS6 gauges in it. Someone had rolled it to 000000 and I wanted it at my mileage so I could keep track of the miles on the motor. I had rolled back the original unit when I first finished restoring the car. It was a very tedious process that requires much patience. Just make sure if you are going to try this that you do not touch the tumblers with your fingers. There are also little plastic pieces in there that bend very easily, another thing to watch out for. you can get a new odometer unit from OPG or Paddock I think. They may even still be available from a Chevy dealer.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Originally posted by BillK:
By the way ... this is very very illegal :(
Only illegal if you misrepresent the shown miles as actual miles at the time of sale. At least in California, there is an option on the bill of sale allowing the seller to indicate the miles exceed the mechanical limits of the odometer. That's what I've done in the past for odometers that I "tinkered' with.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Originally posted by TimC:
That's what I've done in the past for odometers that I "tinkered' with.
That's not "tinkered", that's repaired . ;)

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
MN has two checkboxes:

"Exceeds mechanical limits"
"Does not reflect actual mileage"

As long as you check the box you're OK. If your state doesn't have similar, have the new owner sign a statement saying they acknowledge the Odo isn't actual mileage. Keep a copy for yourself!

·
Premium Member
16,709 Posts
Originally posted by John D:
MN has two checkboxes:

"Exceeds mechanical limits"
"Does not reflect actual mileage"

As long as you check the box you're OK. If your state doesn't have similar, have the new owner sign a statement saying they acknowledge the Odo isn't actual mileage. Keep a copy for yourself!
Same as here in NJ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts