Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, I'll try & keep this brief.
I started my car ('79 LeSabre) tonight and noticed only the passenger headlight was working [dimmer switch on low-beam] on a four-light system. Went into replacement parts bin and swapped out the light {again, low-type lamp only] with a new one still in the package. Still, nothing with the dimmer switch on low. Switched the dimmer on to High and all four lights lit-up. Switched the dimmer back to low and the drivers low beam wasn't working. My question is, is there a relay that would cause this or is it something happening from the dimmer switch? I'm sure the light is getting voltage since it's working when the dimmer is switched to high (along with the three other lights).
Any info you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
John C.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I'd check the socket with a meter. Don't remember if those Buicks use a low beam lamp with 3 contacts on it. Would make more sense if they did. If GM didn't change the colors around too badly the socket should have a green wire on it. Measure that lamp connector contact to a good ground with the low beams on. Suspect that you will not have 12 volts. If you do not, probe at the wire on the back side of the socket. Guessing you will see your 12 volts. If that happens it is a bad socket. Cut it off and replace it. Use solder and heat shrink tubing to do the repair.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I checked the connectors and guess what? They had the correct voltage on the right pins. Well, disconnected the "new" light and tried it on the passenger side and it didn't work. What are the odds of a new headlight not working and having the same problem as the old one?!? Oh well, thanks for the assist anyway. Got a couple new lights and swapped 'em out and it works great.

Thanks again
John C.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts