Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 350 in my Malibu wants to spark knock and I neaded some opinions on octane booster. Does it really work?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Yes and no! The problem is it is only good for engines that ping just slightly. When they talk about raising your octane by 4 points that is .4. In other words from 92 octane to 92.4 octane. I use it in my vette as I get occassioal ping under WOT if I don't. My motor is right at the edge for 92 octane and the octane boost or a couple of gallons of 110 octane allow me to run at the engines best.

So, octane boost will not allow you to run a 12:1 compression on the street but might be just enough extra to give you what is needed for an engine with very slight ping tendencies.

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

[This message has been edited by Redrum (edited 04-29-2001).]

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well, I have also been a firm believer that the octane boost on the market are crap, until now.......

A friend of mine was at the dyno last week and was suffering from high rpm ping using 94 octane fuel. The dyno tech/engine builder added an octane boost (one tiny capfull) to his tank and tadahh, no more ping.

The tech is a well know racer in the Montreal Canada area and stated he runs 87 octane with a capfull of this stuff in his 13:1 7second rail car. He also says that his customers from 10:1 up use the product and even at a high advanced timing setting their engines won't ping.

I don't remember the name of the product, but if you email me as a reminder, I'll find out for you.

-Greg

------------------
69ht383>Smokumchevy
TC member#610

"Men are from earth. Women are from earth. Deal with it"
"Junk is something you throw away three weeks before you need it"

<A HREF="http://www.cartogra.com/rs/6E3E9082-2AF2-11D5-B429-0090277A760E" TARGET=_blank>My Pic Show
</A>
New Pic

ChevyWorld.net

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I would like to find out the name of that octane booster you are talking about.
It sounds pretty good to me. I am running 10.5:1 compression and am not getting
any ping at 93 octane. Still would like a little insurance though.

thanks
Dave

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
If you do a search on gasoline additives in the performance section, there's been alot of discussion recently. You can tolulene from your local hardware store @ 1 pt per 18 gallons and raise the octane way more than any off the shelf octane booster. But, read up first.

------------------
Triple Black 69 SS 396
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1233564&a=9105086&p=37274567&f=0

·
Registered
171 Posts
ok all, here's the jist of things so far:

The product is called Sinto 130 Octane, and the product description is at the following link: http://www.sintoracing.com/WWW-E/produits/F-prodacc.html

Although I've only seen personally how well this product works in an 11.5:1 engine with 87 octane fuel, and they claim will work with up to 14:1, I don't know the chemical breakdown and am trying to get an MSDS sheet on it for that purpose. I'll try to remember to forward the info when I get it or post it at the site.

As far as making a purchase for it, the only supplier that I know of is: http://www.raceshop2000.com and I believe it is @ $24.00 Cdn per litre of product. The mix rate is 1 milli litre of product to treat 1 litre of fuel (sorry, you'll have to do the math conversion, I sucked at math in school, lol).

Anyway, take care & talk at ya later,
-Greg

------------------
69ht383>Smokumchevy
TC member#610

"Men are from earth. Women are from earth. Deal with it"
"Junk is something you throw away three weeks before you need it"

<A HREF="http://www.cartogra.com/rs/6E3E9082-2AF2-11D5-B429-0090277A760E" TARGET=_blank>My Pic Show
</A>
New Pic

ChevyWorld.net

·
Registered
290 Posts
I know this stuff isn't supposed to work, and I think it is a scam that they can get away with stating "raises octane up to 4 points" when most would think they mean from 93 octane to 97 octane, when what they really mean is 93 to 93.4 octane.

However, that said, I do use one bottle of 104 octane boost per tank in both of my 11.5:1 Chevelles. And it does the trick, no pinging. One year I didn't have time to get to the gas station to get race gas before running to the strip. Instead I simply ran my one bottle of 104 octane boost with a tankful of Amoco 93 octane. My best times were from that day. All other times I've used pure 100 octane unleaded or a mix of 108 leaded and 93 octane unleaded. And, I'm not advocating that octane boost is better than race gas, it simply interesting what results I've gotten.

So, it does seem that there is something to this stuff, at least in my experience.

My .02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.