Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my junk out and apart to freshen it up and check everything out.

Using Lunati link bar solid roller lifters on a 60233 Voodoo cam (.663/.685/[email protected]), springs were set up @ 230 on the seat. Got about 350-400 passes on these since new, idle @ 1100-1200 (and dont do that a whole lot) and usually shift @ 6300 with the hi side set @ 6800, and I will admit that it has hit the high side a few times coming out of a burnout but sometimes it's just kind of hard to lift 'cause it's almost too much fun.

Rollers feel smooth and the cam itself looks great. Changing valve springs, bearings, and rings. Debating on whether or not to change lifters too. I'll probably change them out to be on the safe side, just curious what the magic number of passes before meltdown really seems to be.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hey Greg, did you clean the lifter wheels in solvent before you checked them? If not you can get a false feel, If the lifters can be rebuilt just send them back and have them rebuilt usually about half the price of new or less. It really boils down to catching them before they fail,that could be 400 more passes or 4 ,you have had good service so for peace of mind it might make sense to if rebuild-able send them back and have them gone through. I have never had a lifter fail but have had a few that were "gritty" when I checked them so I was lucky. I am running Crower Hippo`s with bushings and last year doing some other work I decided to check them, they only had 100 or so passes and I found one that was shot, the rest looked great so you never know.The damage caused by a failure differently isn't worth it.

Brian

·
Registered
161 Posts
Have them rebuilt and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

I checked these as I pulled them out, had not been cleaned yet. Rollers were smooth as silk.

Probably put in a new set and send these in for a rebuild, that way I'll have a spare set.

·
Vendor
9,307 Posts
Got my junk out and apart to freshen it up and check everything out.

Using Lunati link bar solid roller lifters on a 60233 Voodoo cam (.663/.685/[email protected]), springs were set up @ 230 on the seat. Got about 350-400 passes on these since new, idle @ 1100-1200 (and dont do that a whole lot) and usually shift @ 6300 with the hi side set @ 6800, and I will admit that it has hit the high side a few times coming out of a burnout but sometimes it's just kind of hard to lift 'cause it's almost too much fun.

Rollers feel smooth and the cam itself looks great. Changing valve springs, bearings, and rings. Debating on whether or not to change lifters too. I'll probably change them out to be on the safe side, just curious what the magic number of passes before meltdown really seems to be.

There really isn't a set number of passes. If a valve train is stable and happy the rollers could go for quite a long time. If valve train is unhappy it could be a a very short time. At 350 to 400 passes your at the number that most either rebuild or replace.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts