Team Chevelle banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
I have a 68 Nomad Custom with a 454 in it. I ran the Saginaw "3 on the tree" with factory Overdrive while I decided on a suitable replacement for short runs and long distance trips. I still have the original 3:70 rear in it. I had read about the NP440 and tried for months to find one. Just after I did pick up a slightly used Richmond 6 Sp/OD for a good price and was preparing to install it, I came across a cast iron NP440 out of an 85 or 86 Chev Diesel P/Up for $200. It had the original Hurst shifter (missing the shift lever) and the 12 inch bellhousing, both of which are required if you are going to use this Chev/Mopar hybrid. I had new bearings, synchros and seals installed. I also tore the shifter completely down, cleaned it, greased it and reassembled it. It used the factory trans cross member and can use either the original trans mount for the Saginaw or the mount that was used in the truck. Now, I just have to rework a tunnel patch because of the notch that was needed to be cut for the 3rd/4th(OD) shift linkage.

[Tom Mobley removed parts sale offer] Please post your stuff in the free classifieds.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts