Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is killing me!! A few days ago, I posted a question about horns not working on my 69 SS. Turned out the horns were no good. I got another horn and changed the relay just to be sure and now when I hook up the battery, the horn keeps sounding. I changed the wires on the relay one at a time so as not to mix them up. I poped the grant horn button off the steering wheel and disconnected the lead to be sure it wasn't continously grounding, reconnected the battery and it still won't stop sounding. Would anyone have any ideas as to what to check next? Does anyone have the correct positions for the connections on the relay or can recommend a site that does? Thanks

------------------
Mark
69 Chevelle SS

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Bet you neighbors love you. Anyway.
You won't find schematics on another site. They are not out there. Quickest way to get one is in the Haynes Chevelle manual available at places like Pep Boys.
1, You only need 3 wires to make the horn run (or stop). The rest are part of the key minder circuit. Mark where these wires go to on the relay and remove them for the moment.
2, The wires that you need are a, the wire to the horn (terminal 3). b, the positive wire to the battery/alternator c, the ground wire that goes to the horn button (terminal 2).
3, Assume that your new relay is ok. Only two things can be wrong. The black wire that runs up to the horn button is shorted to ground. Disconnect this at the relay and see if the horns stop honking. If that is not it, you have the horn wire tied together with the battery wire.

·
Premium Member
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, John. I'll go and give this a shot. My neighbors have one of those annoying little dogs that bark 24/7 so I figure this evens us out! Again, thanks

------------------
Mark
69 Chevelle SS

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gotago:
My neighbors have one of those annoying little dogs that bark 24/7 so I figure this evens us out
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Must be female.

·
Premium Member
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello John. I think my problem with the horn is in the steering column. For now, I'm going to rig a bypass just to get it inspected so I can enjoy the car for awhile. BTW, how do you fix a wire in the column? Thank you very much for all your help.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Depends what is wrong. Somebody could have pinched the horn wire shorting it out. Need to remove the steering wheel to see what is going on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts