Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just needing some basic advice. When looking to buy a chevelle ss, what is the most thorough way to identify the car as an authentic SS ?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I would recommend buying some literature on the subject. Call Motorbooks International at 1-800-826-6600 for a free catalog,they have a large selection of Chevelle books. I bought the Chevelle Restoration Guide, cost around $25.00, worth every cent. The book has over 1000 photos, charts, and illustrations. I think I just wrote my first commercial! Good luck in the hunt!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
For starters go to my link. http://www.chevelles.com/shop/index.shtml . You didn't say what year so this link will take you to the RESTO SHOP on this site. There are two articles to read one for 64-67 and the other 68-up on how to id an SS. Good info but buy the books and beware of clones.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS)

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
If you are looking for a 64-67(maybe68) they are easy to identify on the VIN tag.(this is before SS was an option on ANY(almost forgot not 4 doors) body style(ie 69+) They will carry an 8 in the 3rd digit spot.(for example 138####etc) But if it's a 64 or 65 remember that they were still available as SS's with 6 bangers they will carry a 7 in the 3rd position. This is all covered in the How to Identify an SS that someone above directed you to. But I wanted to stress this info.
Steve

[This message has been edited by Steve D 64 SS (edited 02-18-99).]

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hello Gerald, welcome to the Team! In addition to the advice above there is an excellent guide to your very question in the Tech Reference part of this site. Go the the Team Chevelle Index page, look for Tech Reference on the left side column of tabs. I printed this out myself and while not as comprehensive as some of the books out there, it is a great place to start. Good luck with your car!
John Walker

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.