Team Chevelle banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

· Registered
18,121 Posts
that would do the job, but they are all over in the junkyards for probably less than $10.

· Administrator
14,433 Posts
Certainly not worth $25 and the auction isn't over. What you need to look for is set up that has the pedal shaft pivot like in the Chevelle. That part will bolt to the firewall in the 64-67 Chevelles with no modifications. You will also need to get the bracket to secure the cable onto the manifold and make a square hole in the firewall to secure the other end.

Here are some old photos I took when I was converting my 64 to a throttle cable. I was using parts from a 68 Camaro, but I believe they are the same as the Nova. Sorry for the picture quality, but these are scanned photographs (before the digital camera age:) )

In this photo is the stock 64 set up and it had bushings in it.

This one is from the 68 Camaro .The e clip holds the rod into the pivot bracket

This photo shows the difference in the length of the rod that goes in the pivot bracket. The Chevelle arm on the left goes all the way thru and the lever for the carb rod secures it in place. The Camaro/Nova rod is retained by an E clip.

These are the brackets side by side. The Chevelle is metal and the Camaro is plastic. As you can see they are identical except for the material.

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info and posting the pics, very helpful!

· Premium Member
14,489 Posts
I keep going back and fourth with this modification on my 66SS. Phillip, how is the feel of these against your foot vs. the stock rod setup? Some say they dont like it.

I havent seen many Nova's with this setup in any junkyards for a while now. They are usually gone right away to make room for other stuff by the yard itself.

The Lokar setup looks tempting also. They make a kit that bolts right in.

· Registered
349 Posts
Skeeveman, That looks sweet. Do you remember the specific application for the 85 Ford?
What did you use as a manifold bracket?

Thanks

· Registered
1,566 Posts
Thanks, I'm using this throttle bracket. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MOR-65045&N=700+115&autoview=sku

And for the application, go to the parts store, tell them you want an accelerator cable for a 1985 T-Bird, 302 Carburated V8, and a manual transmission. Make sure you get it for a manual transmission, because the automatic version is about an inch too short to use on a BBC.

On my 71, it mated perfectly through the factory hole, just had to drill two holes to put the 1/4" bolts in there to hold it in. As for the bracket, you have to modify the cable's bracket a bit, and also the bracket on the carb has to be modified. Nothing complicated by any means, just a little trimming to fit, and it came out looking like it was meant to be there, not all haggard lol. If you want, I can produce better pictures, just let me know, and I'll throw them up on my server.

· Administrator
14,433 Posts
I keep going back and fourth with this modification on my 66SS. Phillip, how is the feel of these against your foot vs. the stock rod setup? Some say they dont like it.

I havent seen many Nova's with this setup in any junkyards for a while now. They are usually gone right away to make room for other stuff by the yard itself.

The Lokar setup looks tempting also. They make a kit that bolts right in.
The pedal feel is different, hard to describe, I guess smoother would be close and a lot less vibration thru the pedal.

The Lokar set up will work great but pricey. I have some photos of the Lokar install a member here did around the same time i was messing with the Camaro set up. The Lokar was listed as a Camaro part and the we worked with Lokar to show them it was also viable for the Chevelle. If I can find the photos I'll post them.

· Registered
18,121 Posts
this looks nice, but keep in mind that if you ever want to run it on an NHRA track, you will need another return spring. the rule book calls for 2 return springs.

I actually put a ford throttle cable on my '71. It has the spring built into it, so it's real clean. The one I'm using I got from the parts store, it was for a '85 Carburated v8, with a manual transmission.

· Registered
1,566 Posts
this looks nice, but keep in mind that if you ever want to run it on an NHRA track, you will need another return spring. the rule book calls for 2 return springs.
Yeah, very true, but that's not a big deal, this is a car that is 98% on the street. But, when I do take it to the track, and they mention something about it, I can throw another spring on there easy, no big deal. A buddy of mine that showed me this has never been questioned about it, then again, it's a lenient track. :p

· Registered
18,121 Posts
if the tech guy wants to be a pain in the butt, he can disallow you running without a second spring if you have the Ford setup. but all those late models with fuel injection that only have the one spring wound around the throttle shaft with no secondary spring are good to go..
i'm sure all the Ford guys love that.

· Registered
81 Posts
I would like to convert from a rod to a cable type throttle on my 67 and from what I have read a Nova assy works best right? Would this part on ebay be what I need? Is that all I need or is there a different type of firewall bracket I would have to get? Thanks guys!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968...ryZ33700QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Just finished a throttle cable conversion on my 66. Use a 71 or 72 pedal assembly from a Nova, but get a 73 Nova cable which you can still find and buy at the auto parts store for $15.00 ( DORMAN Part # 04145 ). The Cable is a perfect fit with no modifications necessary to it's length using a Holley 20-95 throttle bracket.

Jeff

· Premium Member
4,610 Posts
I've done this conversion "twice" on the 67. The first time around I used a pedal assembly from a full size Olds or Buick. I had to modify the pedal rod to fit the Chevelle. I used the B-body pedal as well. Later, I re-did the pedal rod (including the part that attaches everything to the firewall) with parts from a 75 Nova. This let me go back to the floor mounted original Chevelle pedal. Neither of these used the factory firewall bracket. In both cases I mounted the fixed end of the cable in a square hole I cut in the firewall, just like GM did in later years. Cost for both of these set-ups was zero.

Now I've noticed recently in the U-Pick that the last of the "square" full-size Caddys use a floor mounted pedal like the Chevelle and an Olds engine with Q-jet. I haven't looked closely at the linkage, but this may be a good swap option. These cars are starting to show up everywhere. Very unlikely though that you'll be using the original firewall Chevelle bracket.

· Premium Member
14,489 Posts
Just finished a throttle cable conversion on my 66. Use a 71 or 72 pedal assembly from a Nova, but get a 73 Nova cable which you can still find and buy at the auto parts store for $15.00 ( DORMAN Part # 04145 ). The Cable is a perfect fit with no modifications necessary to it's length using a Holley 20-95 throttle bracket.

Jeff
Do you have any pictures of this setup?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.