Chevelles.com banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
dang-a-nova - I want Hanks 69 SS chevelle!!! Never rode in real L-78 anything!!
That car seemed to be jinxed from the beginning. That's why I traded it for my 70 Nova SS that I bought a small block in. The Chevelle body was totally done over after the factory rep looked at the car. Body work had to be done at the roof to quarter panel seams because it was sunk in on both sides and the car was totally repainted because of the poor paint coverage in different areas of the car from the factory. Blew 3 motors and 2-1/2 sets of heads from shearing valve keepers which led to the valve getting sucked into the motor. Out one wintry night hit a patch of ice spun the car 180* and wrapped the front fender around a telephone poll. Body shop had problems with the insurance company and almost refused to fix the car. When they went to paint it I hadn't told them when the dealer repainted it they also clear coated it which led to the body shops paint job cracking as soon as they painted it. When I picked it up from the body shop months later the owner told me not to bring it back. The next night I'm sitting at a light checking out a girl walking down the street. Too bad the kid behind me that was driving a 69 Camaro was looking at the girl too and rammed me from behind. That was it for me went to the dealers and put in a order for the Nova. Decided I would drive the Chevelle the way it was and let the dealer worry about fixing the rear end damage. As far as the body and paint work plus the engine problems I also knew other people that went thru the same things with their 69 Chevelles. It was a real nice looking car in it's Olympic Gold color with the black side stripe but the dealer had it more than I did.

·
Premium Member
7,118 Posts
Listen, if Joe Dirt can slap a BioHazard sticker on a crapper tank and call it a bomb, this guy can slap SS emblems on grandmas Nova and call it an SS

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,593 Posts
Power Disc Brakes were standard with the SS option on '70 Novas. I had one bought new (L78) and still have the dealer invoice. The L48 350 4 bbl engine was standard with the SS option.

·
Premium Member
8,511 Posts
This is from the 69 Chevelle SS I ordered. It had quite a few options on it.
Thanks for sharing that and the Nova order sheet too, Hank.

Reactions: HKalin

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,593 Posts
dang-a-nova - I want Hanks 69 SS chevelle!!! Never rode in real L-78 anything!!
The real world was that as delivered, the L78's in anything weren't that fast. I was hugely disappointed with my new '70 Nova L78 (TH400 and 3.55 posi) when it could only muster a 15.10 the first time I raced it and got outrun by a stock 383 Road Runner. After all kinds of tuning on the carb and dist it would run mid 14's. What really woke it up was headers and a 4.10 gear, plus a CD box for the ignition. I knew owners of L78 Chevelles that were equally disappointed. Problem was that although the L78's has huge potential, they needed RPM and a free breathing exhaust to produce the power they were capable of. They also fouled spark plugs easily on the street and needed a fresh set at the strip to run well. The cheap capacitive discharge box I added was one of the best and easiest things I did to the car. I finally got it into the high 12's with open headers and 7" recap slicks in '73. Sold it later that year for $1800.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
The real world was that as delivered, the L78's in anything weren't that fast. What really woke it up was headers and a 4.10 gear, plus a CD box for the ignition. they needed RPM and a free breathing exhaust to produce the power they were capable of
Agree. Buddy of mine had a new '69 L78 Nova back then. He "Day 2'd" the car with headers and gears soon after he took delivery of it. After that, there weren't many others that could touch him.

Had a ride in it and it was scary fast. When he said "buckle up", he wasn't kidding.....:eek:

Reactions: HKalin

·
Registered
92 Posts
This is from the 69 Chevelle SS I ordered. It had quite a few options on it.
I see you ordered the 63 amp alternator (RPO K85). Do you know if in fact they put it on the car on the assembly line ? I ordered it, and discovered, years later, they put the standard 37 amp on the car. Still hunting for a 63 amp today :frown2:

Viz

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
I see you ordered the 63 amp alternator (RPO K85). Do you know if in fact they put it on the car on the assembly line ? I ordered it, and discovered, years later, they put the standard 37 amp on the car. Still hunting for a 63 amp today :frown2:

Viz
To tell you the truth I never even checked it. I know it had a smog pump on it because I had to take it on and off quite a few times when I brought the car back for warranty work. ;)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts