Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Vendor
9,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DO NOT CLEAN WITH SOLVENT BEFORE INSTALLATION. USE OIL ONLY AND A LINT FREE TOWEL.

Needle bearings have a high pressure grease that is used during assembly for initial break in. Solvent will remove this.

Bushing and the Mamba's have an applied dry film lubricant for break in. Solvent will remove this.....

Wipe lifters down with lint free towel and soak in engine oil of choice. The oil you are using for break in is a good choice.

On the bushing and Mamba's. Break in proceedure. Idle the engine for 20 minutes with some rpm burst to 2500 rpm. No higher.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,330 Posts
whassa Mamba? besides a snake?

Reactions: davewho1

·
Vendor
9,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've used Lucas assembly lube on my solid roller lifters when installing.

Is this a bad thing?
That's fine. Just NO SOLVENTS. Parts washers are a NO NO.

·
Premium Member
8,110 Posts
So Chris have you seen some "issues" from those who cleaned with solvent lately or just a mfg heads up

·
Vendor
9,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So Chris have you seen some "issues" from those who cleaned with solvent lately or just a mfg heads up
Yes. Got a set of bushing lifters in this week for inspection from a builder after they went noisy on the dyno. 2 pulls. I asked him "Did you clean the lifters before you put them in the engine. Yes. I put them in the solvent tank." I asked did you read the paper in the box. No." He's pissed because he has to pay for a rebuild now.

So I have posted this on a few sights for all to review AGAIN. Some comments from engine builders. I always use solvent and will continue to use solvent.

All I can do Bill is lead them to water.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts