Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a bad alternator - replaced it and also replaced battery...drove the car a couple of times - long trips non stop for a about 45 min...I come home and shut off car - won't restart - have to charge battery...batery fully charged - reads only 12 volts with car running...battery is new, alternator is new and bench tested - working, starter is new too....am I missing something, could it have been a fluke that the battery was so low before with old alternator that it never good fully charged? If a battery is fully charged should it only read 12 volts with car running?
I don't have air or a radio in the car.
Please help

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
How many volts do you read off the back of the alternator? Measure the alternator's large red wire to ground.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 69CHVL:
what shold it read? should it be the same as the battery?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Higher than the battery. 13.5 to 14.7 volts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haven't checked yet John..but will....if its higher what will tell me...if the same or lower?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If the voltage is higher than the battery, that is, in the range I mentioned: You have an open wire or a poor connection somewhere between the alternator > horn relay>wire block> battery.
If the voltage is the same, your alternator is not working.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts